Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Since I was taking my front end mask off (finally), I decided that I had enough Newcastle in the fridge to tackle another project before dark. I removed the headlights and wet-sanded them like a madman with some 600 sandpaper.

Then I sprayed 2 light layers of clearcoat from a spray can. Oooo-wee!

I found that using a flat-head screwdriver to 'pry forward' the parking/blinker boxes works better than me clawing at them with my fingernails..

It's a nice improvement for just a few bucks.

You can see the marks the LeBra left on the nose of the hood. (see: bra damage post)
jeremy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
gotta hate that...

http://www.dreamwater.net/gameselect/light.jpg[IMG]

(new at this)
[url]http://www.dreamwater.net/gameselect/light.jpg[/url]

·
Registered
925 Posts
The picture is not there upload it again..

I have tried doing what you have just done but instead of cleaning it I ended up scratching it I used a fine 800 paper. and still scratched it.. How did you do it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
""I have tried doing what you have just done but instead of cleaning it I ended up scratching it I used a fine 800 paper. and still scratched it.. How did you do it?""

the headlights look really scratched when you get done wetsanding them. Dry them and apply the clearcoat and it's like magic. The clearcoat fills in the scratches and it looks like shiney new glass. After I wetsanded them I thought: "these scratches better come out..." They did.

For pictures, don't I just have to paste the address of the picture into the java script prompt when it pops up?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You can pretty much go to a local home Depot or a Lowes and pick up all you need for this. They have high grit wet sand paper (the black one) not one for wood, and also a bottle of clear coat. Make sure you keep the sandpaper wet at all times while sanding and just sand and sand and sand till your arms are going to fall off. Once you;re done sanding, apply light (LIGHT) layers of clear coat waiting in between layers for the previouslayer to dry. The mor elayers you have, the more shyni it will be.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
OK....... me is stuffed head ;)
Am i getting this right....... Sandpaper the GLASS? Inside and out?

·
Registered
934 Posts
That was my question also.....

My sidemarkers look a little hazy, so they're saying to sand and polish the plastic lenses? Sanding shouldn't be needed on the INSIDE right?

My headlights look fine, I doubt sanding glass would be effective..... sorry just rambling......

·
Registered
315 Posts
Being a biker from way back (and used to doing bike screens & visors) what you should be doing on plastic is polishing with "Silvo" its silver polish comes in a can worth AUD$3.

Dont use "Brasso"

And if they are "crazed" sand them with at least 2400 grit Wet&Dry (yep the black stuff) the finer the better.

The 2400 is the number of grains per square inch, so the more they put in (sq inch) the finer the grains are.

Wòó

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey anyone, when you sand your headlights, do you just do the outside or do you do the inside too? and is it easy to remove the headlights?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
hold on, sand it on the inside....... but how about the ripples 'n stuff that is on the inside? or is it inside the plastic?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey BF :)
I wouldnt be sanding the glass (especially not the inside)

Only do the covers, and first try 'em with silvo. I'm not joking here, you wont regret doing clear plastic covers with silvo, it really brings 'em up like new.

One thing though, if they have tiny pistripes on them, be careful or they might rub away.

Wòó

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts