Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any particular clear coat i should get for my headlights (i've already sanded them wet/dry w/ 1500 grit sandpaper) ? Is it in a spray can?

·
Registered
39 Posts
clear coat

Hi,

I just did mine and they look like they are brand new. You can find them at any hardware store in spray cans. Krylon clear coat is the best. Don't worry about the haze that forms when you are spraying it will dissapear. Use about 3 to 4 coats of it.
Good luck!

late

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the clear coat...

ok, i've got my can of clear coat, and i'm ready to get started on my lights, but i don't want to #$%@ them up either. About how long do I wait between applying coats? Also, after I've applied the final coat, I don't need to do anymore sanding, do I?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: Sooo.... all I have to do is sand them...

Improvable said:
Sooo.... all I have to do is sand them and clear coat them and the ugly yellow look is gone?!!! write me with some answers please at [email protected]
Yeah, sounds kind of crazy I guess, but that's the procedure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
hmmm still dont get it hu???????????? ahh well we tried hehehe

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dude, just sand your headlights and finish em off with the finest grit sandpaper you can find. Than clean the shit out of em with some kinda cleaner, than buff it as much as you can. Than after all that your headlight is gonna looked ****ed up, but no worry, grab that clear coat and start spraying. Light coats, and it will look dulled as heck when it is still wet, i actually coat it 12 times since the first 11 i got scared and tried to remove the hazy clearcoat, DON'T DO THAT, just let it dry, it will clear right up. And now you will have some nice looking headlights. I still have not completely finished mine, will have to redo them since i always back off on the clear coat cause they develop a haze when wet, but as is they still look way better that the ywllowish that was on it before.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just did them and they seem to have a haze even when it seemed to dry. I dunno, I'll see how they are tomorrow, but do you think I put the coats on too fast: I did 4 coats on each side, 5 min apart.

·
Registered
216 Posts
you must have bought some cheap clear or you didnt sand it down right,, the first time I did it they came out ****ed up but thats because I didnt sand it down right! the second time I did it came out nice!!! I used some krylon clear and 800grt sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You have to use a realy fine grit paper, sand it down gradually, your gonna need to start around 400 grit, than a good rub at 800 grit than finish if off with around 1200 grit paper. Than clean it really good with sopa or something, than use a rubbing compound and try to polish it. Than after all that, you apply a clearcoat, but it has to be clean, any residue and the clearcoat will haze.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just dry/wet sanded it with 1500, cleaned it off with rubbing alchol waited for it to dry and then used some cheap walmart brand clear coat.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Don't use alcohol, it reacts with the plastic than the clear coat. And you probably have cheap clearcoat, get a good one at an auto place. I suggest you use a rubbing compound, the ones to remove oxidization on the paint and rub it out, that should remove any residue that might react with the clearcoat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
DONT WORRY ABOUT ****ING UP YOUR LIGHTS. IF YOU MESS UP ON THE CLEAR COAT. YOU CAN JUST WAIT A DAY LIGHTLY SAND THE CLEAR COAT OFF AND SPRAY IT AGAIN...YOU CANT REALLY MESS UP THOUGH. JUST SPREAY VERY VERY LIGHTLY... I USED KRYOLEN CLEAR COAT ON MY LIGHTS...IT WORKS

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i messed up my lights lol.

i used a "glaze" not a clearcoat. its like the clearcoat you put on ceramics and crap..

well the 2nd light i did came out GREAT.. it looks incredible - i was amazed at the difference.

the first one i did 3 times :(

first time - didnt sand it down enough, came out crappy looking.

2nd time came out fine, but i put on too thick of a layer and it ran.. on top of that it wouldnt come off. i used laquer thinner and steel wool to get it off.... NOTE TO SELF.. DONT USE LAQUER THINNER ON PLASTIC!!!!! hahaha.

ok so i sanded it all even again until my arms cramped up... then i put thinner coats this time - came out nice, except its obvious where the thinner started eating at the plastic :(

so i took all this knowledge with me when i did the 2nd light and viola! it looked great first time!

my advice to those like me who will futz up anything - practice on a frickin bicycle reflector or something first!! haha

btw i dont have any before pics, but ill post some after pics.

·
Registered
763 Posts
so what.. you sand on both sides of the headlight??

400 than 800 than 1200 sand paper?? what's the difference between the wet and the dry??

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
no, you dont need to sand both sides... mine came out (well the one i DIDNT mess up) very nice just by sanding the front.

note - i noticed someone said theirs came out perfectly clear - i dont know how to do that - since there are physical diffractive lines in the plastic, but mine are definitely clear enough to see the bulb inside - no longer have that frosted look.

Dry sanding is to remove material - such as the yellowing of the lense...

wet sanding is to smooth it out as much as possible, and i wetsanded between coats as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Goo-Gone

dude, forget all that sanding crap, just use goo-gone (not goof-off), some sort of rubbing compund, and wet and black to polish. Mine look great now! DO NOT use Goof-off, it is too strong. You can then use the Wet and Black on your tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts