Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are anyone's "clear corners" actually as clear as their headlights. If so, how do I make mine that clear? Thanks

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
chances are yours are brownish? the corner lights tend to crack, on the inside you will find a steel plate that is covered with a reflective film, the steel tends to rust under the reflective film and cause a brownish tinge when water gets inside. Heres what you do: remove whole corner light, remove outside lense by prying, chances are that the glue that holds it will let it give right away, if not, figure something out to get it off, once you have it off, decide if rust is the culprit or if the plastic lense was just dirty and foggy. sand the lense with fine grit wet sand paper and spray with a few LIGHT coats of clear spray paint. If the innards are rusty, go to your loacl auto store and buy some film for fixing sideview mirrors and cut to shape, glue everything back together with silicone and super glue and reassemble,good as new

·
Registered
170 Posts
Or you can just go buy new ones from the dealer!!:D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Also, don't forget that the bulb inside is colored amber, so even when it's not on it reflects amber inside the lens. Sylvania has just come out with these trick bulbs that are clear when not lit, but turn amber when on (they're not LEDs either, standard filament). They're sick, but also $20 a pair.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Where do you get the clear corners for our cars that replace the orange ones on the front bumper? :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ZFreak-MXSix said:
Where do you get the clear corners for our cars that replace the orange ones on the front bumper? :)
SixSick6, you used to make those, didn't you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please don't do this if trying to get the lens of..

..remove whole corner light, remove outside lense by prying, chances are that the glue that holds it will let it give right away, if not, figure something out to get it off..

.. there is a chance you'll break the lens. I remember reading from an "fixing manual" (I don't know what you call those) for the older mx-6 that the glue is hot glue so getting the lens of should be a whole lot easier and safer just by putting the light in to hot water.. the lens should fall of. I don't know if this works.. haven't tried it.

Anyways I'm thinking about painting the parts inside the lights, that aren't ment to reflect any light.

I don't know if you'll understand what I'm thinking about because of my not so good english.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
coupe_devil said:
.. there is a chance you'll break the lens.
which is why you need to be careful when prying. I used a thin blade knife to get into a small section of the glue, if it didnt start ti give, then I'd go to a different section untill it started to give. Once I found a good spot, I just slid the knife and the glue gave way. You need to be patient when you do it or you WILL break the lense. Inside you'll see the reflective lense that I am referring to. I painted the whole inside with reflective silver spraypaint (Metallic Silver) and then cut a mirror section from a sheet of reflective lense used to fix rear view and side view mirrors

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey sick six how much do you charge for the clear lens for the front and rear bumbers? I still thinking about your K&N drop in if you have not sold it. If the price is right on the clears i might just order all of that from you at once to save on shipping fees.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I was selling them for $18 a set, I'll sell you the 4 clear marker lights and the K&N for $45 shipped. You'll have to get electrical housings for the rear if you want them to light up, I picked mine up from a junkyartd as a pocket item. Just ordinary 194 sockets and wire them to your tail lights. I have hyperwhite 194 lights in my fronts and rears...it looks really good

·
Registered
658 Posts
What do you mean by elictrical housing? Wait i think you mean there are no lights currently in there? If so can i get the same housing as the front ones?

·
Registered
658 Posts
How hard will it be to add the needed electrical to the rear bumper. I assume i have to pull the rear bumper off and maybee cut the hole out? Then i can tap in to the lights that turn on with one click of the light switch up front?(driving lights mode)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks SixSIck6 i will be trying to get you that cash soon. Please pm me and let me know if you still have the air filter and clear lenses for me. I should be able to send you the money for that real soon. Please advise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts