Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can you get clear side markers for the front or back cheaper than $85 at clearcorners.com. Or does anyone know how to make them to where they actually look good?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
$85 is to much for peice of plastic if u ask me. i have seen on here that u can make them your stuff, do a search for it on here, or on probetalk.com.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Instructions

OK, since I recieved so many responses on how to make the clear side markers I'll post them here instead of responding to each e-mail.

Materials:

1/8" plexiglass
chrome spray paint
3/4-1" chrome screws
tools to cut the plexiglass with

Remove the stock marker light assembly, either prying with a screwdriver or by releasing the clip from inside the fender.

Trace the outline of the marker on to the plexi and cut out the shape. Test fit it to the opening in the bumber and trim as neccesary. Once you have the right shape break the original colored section off the marker. Remove the crews that hold the clips ont he back and drill the holes all the way through the remained. Set the cut plexi in front of the assembly and tap screw holes half way into it. replace the stock screws with the chrome ones so that they go through the marker and tp into the holes you have made in the plexi. Once it all fits take the plexi off and spray teh inside of the marker with the chrome spray paint. You can either you clear bulbs or colored ones depending on your local lighting laws and how daring you are. Reassemble the marker and snap it back in to the bumper. This will work for the front and rear markers ad they are the same.

G

·
Re: Instructions

my friend a i made tail lights for my civic. so, side markers are even easier. my tail lights required a heat gun to bend the plexiglass...with side markers there is no need. the best tool to use to cut the plexiglass is a dremel tool. they are kind of expensive but very useful. we used a circular wood saw and almost went blind with the pieces flying into our eyes....so i would seriously suggest buying a dremel tool. be careful with the glue because no glue dries completely clear, so don't go crazy with it and put it everywhere. good luck with them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
what about sealing? i want to try to make these for my ride cuz i spent too much on the front clear markers ($85) and i don't want to for the rear. are the stock markers sealed so no water gets in them? and if so, how would i seal the plexiglass ones?

·
Registered
488 Posts
The stocks are sealed. I didn't bother sealing the one's I made, but I haven't had any problems with them for the last 1 and a half that I've had them. Of course I do live in So. Cal so we don't have as bad weather as other areas, you know 70 degrees on Christmas day.:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
one more ?

ya, we had like -16 degree windchills here in kansas on christmas. but i got one more question. when you screw the plexiglass on to the existing pixtures do you screw from the front and go into the fisture or do you go from the back and not screw all the way threw the glass?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts