Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help with a small problem on my 90 mx6 gt

i get a small clicking noise like the distrubitor some times when speeding up at all car tempatures......mostly when it is cold...i am hoping not a turbo seal.....i have just finished replacing the filler hose ($147.57....from dealership) and my gas tank is next.....

thanks any help would be better than none
ratly

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a clicking sound as well.

What fixed my problem was First see if your sparkpugs are good if not replace those and see the distributor cap It may look ok but scrape a little and see if there is any curosion on them ( the 4 metal pieces) . Just brush it off put it back on. And your car will sound good as new.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would guess an exhaust leak. Known to break exhaust manifold studs and get a ticking noise upon acceleration.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found my ticking noise when i shorted my map sensor...its my valves in number 3 or 4. what could cuase it

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well make sure u change your oil very often. And it should go away with 2-3 oil changes You probaly have a sticky valve
another thing u may try is to get the valve stuff oil that quiets it down its around 10 Can See it that helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got my mapped fixed and a put in some MMO (marvel mystery oil)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
ratly said:
i found my ticking noise when i shorted my map sensor...its my valves in number 3 or 4. what could cuase it
What map sensor?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tick tick!

The ticking noise while driving, esp. when cold,IS a leak in your exhaust manifold. I have to re-tighten my exhaust manifold bolts every 5-6 thous. miles. Depending on how much hard, high rpm driving I have been doing. The top passenger side exh. man.stud broke off by itself, and I had to have it tapped out and replaced.

You can probably just get away with removing the heat shelds around the exh. manif. and turbo, and cautiously tightening the exh. manif. bolts. It takes about 15min, is easy, and I've done it many times myself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well when my map sensor went (air flow sensor) it dumped gas into the cylinders so now i have to replace the exhaust manifold gasket...my teacher told me it was the gasket making the clicking noise.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Clicking noise

Hey Ratly, did you just TRY tightening your exhaust manifold bolts before replacing the gasket? Your shop teacher was prob. right about where the noise was coming from, but assumed too much about why it was happening (probably from old Chevy. experience). We all know what happens when you assume too much, it makes an as.. out of you and, well.. someone else ( and can waste alot of time and money). - Hope you at least tried the easy fix first!:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did...broken stud bolt...and gasket has received to much damage....dont know how long it has been like that..i just bought the car not that long agao...about 3 weeks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just got this car a few days ago, and yes I've had a type of concern as well, this car has 164,000 KM's on it, and it seems to make this noise everytime I accelerate. It's kinda troubling me because I don't really feel like spending more money on anything else atm, any suggestions?
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Don't forget, the manifold nuts on these cars are special. They have a crimp on them that help prevent them from backing off. Any old bold from the hardware or autoparts store will not do. These nuts can still be purchased from Mazda if you are having problems with them backing out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well manifest....i did your trick a little late...the very rich fuel mix got my gasket...and half the studs where rusting or cracked and i still have one broken stud on the left lower hand side...but it runs good for now till i can afford to have it removed...i installed some grade b8 bolts and locktite to try to keep the botls in...i notice that only the studs on the left hand side had prolems, is that just mine or does everyone else have the same ones messing up

·
Registered
345 Posts
To your last question YES only my LEFT side is ****ed. BOO. Had one broken 3 are gone now. **** a lot of money gona be dropped here. Might as well change all 6

toodles:rolleyes:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Exhaust Man. bolts

Thanx Manifest, for the tip on these (exhaust manifold), bolts being special Mazda parts, didn't know that...
Ratly, I've only had my right side (passenger), top stud break, and right side bolts loosen by themselves, in 170 k miles. No damage, breakage, rust, never replaced the gasket, etc...

Grade 8 bolts with lock-tite still see like a superior solution though, given the engines problem in this area!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts