Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a clicking sound when the car is at normal temp. i just had a head gasket replased and a lifter. my dad tells me it's one of the lifter that's dirty and that's why it makes that sound. can some one help me out please...it's driving me nuts. makes my car sound likie a wind up toy!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
he's right about the lifters, they get dirty and make that sound, from what i've heard replacing them is a bad idea because not only are they expensive because you can't tell which one is ticking, but they tend to start ticking again later anyway. synthetic fluid (mobil 1 tri-synthetic) is supposed to help, it worked for me, but i've heard it make take a few oil changes, go to Welcome to Probe - MX6 - The original Julian bradbury makeover site this guy knows what he's talking about, also look on ProbeTalk.com theres a lot of useful advice about them there, do a search.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, Lately my car has been making a ticking sound too. When I took it to a shop, the mechanic told me that my cams are gone and need to be replaced. That is what is making the nicking noise. He estimated around $1200 to replace the cams.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To babybluemx6.....make sure it is the cams before you get them changed.

It probobly isn't the cams...maybe the HLA's.

But if your car runs good and there are no other problems and there is a small amount of ticking then let it be.

And if you do get the cams changed make sure you put in some high performance aftermarket ones.

Diesel

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
my 6 is doing the same. a very faint click. yes its kinda annoying, but hell, it might happen anyways. my knock doesnt follow any certain rythem. knock knock knock...quiet...knock knock...quiet...knock knock...quiet. so im thinking maybe its just build up. car has been in storage for winters so...who knows. hope ya get it fingered out.

SolarSlash

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem. Took it to a shop that only works on Mazdas and the guy told me it was because I did not have a Mazda oil filter. He replaced the filter and the engine stopped making the clicking sound. Give it a try.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
hhhmmmmmmmm.....

i just read on that bradbury site that HLA noise can be a result of a faulty oil pump. i have to have my oil pump replaced, and come to think of it the noise didnt start until i needed to have my oil pump replaced.....hhmmmmm...interesting. guess ill find out soon enough.

SolarSlash

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ticking

I had a timing chain tensioner replaced a couple of
years back that also seemed to get rid of a tick.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car makes the same stupid sound. I had the engine flushed and put in Mobil 1 - it helped a bit but there is still some bacground tickage. I am getting the friction gear replaced later this week (under warranty) I think that will solve my problem...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts