Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a clunk.. or more of a hard rattle when I turn my car off. This only happenes about 25 (maybe more) percent of the time. It seems like it is coming from the rear of the vehicle. I just had magna flow exhaust put in.. could this be the problem? It's weird. At first i thought it was dieseling but I don't think thats what it is.

Also, my rear anti-sway bar came loose and rattles when i go over big bumps or railroad tracks. Should I get this replaced? How important is this baby?

Thanks
alex

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
definately get the sway bar secured... it wont kill you if you dont, but its definately a cornering plus.

is there anything related to the clunk, like it only does it when its cold/hot, parked on a hill, after idling for a few seconds, etc.?

could just be a wierd back pressure relief characteristic of the muffler. have someone shut off the car as you stand at the rear until you hear it. then youll know if its just the muffler or not...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in.. i just need two and a half weeks

Hey thanks for the reply,

I will get the sway bar fixed.. I hope it isn't too expensive. The clunk seems almost like it is deiseling.. except only like one revolution.. one extra pop. It's hard to explain. It happens more often when the car is warm, and the clutch peddal is not pushed to the floor, and obviously the car in in nuetral.

My O2 sensor is sending trouble codes so I suspect that it needs to be replaced. Could the O2 sensor be causing carbon build up that is just now causing the engine to deisel? Maybe I am thinking to hard!?

Thanks for your help!!!
Alex

·
Registered
193 Posts
had the exact same thing when I had my exhaust changed. It was hitting at a bend over the rear axle and against my rear bumper by the tip. They adjusted it afterward and no trouble since. If you watch your tip while someone else turns your car off you may see it bounce once. dont know why it does that.
btw, I'm referring to my car with a V6

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
pull your malf codes... thatll tell you somwthing... you may not have to replace the O2 sensor, you might just have a bad connection. that could be the cause of the clunking...

BTW, is it almost like a muffled popping sound?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
02 sensor

The trouble codes tell me that my o2 sensor is bad. I will check the connection--i hope that is the problem.

Yes, it seems like it is a muffled pop...like one or two

Alex

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
sounds like it could just be the sudden release of back-pressure... could be induced by the bad O2 sensor though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts