Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is grabbing really low. My clutch fluid is topped off. It's not shifting with any problems at all, no power losses or anything. I'm not good with finding problems clutches so what d you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Did it just start doing this out of nowhere? or has it always done it? Mine grabs fairly low but I believe they all do.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it just started doing this yesterday. It did it about 3 weeks ago but all it needed was a little fluid and it was fine. Now my fluid is completely topped off and it didn't fix the problem this time. As soon as I try to lift my foot slightly off the clutch pedal, you can feel it. Plus the pedal sometimes doesn't pop back up, but that happens mostly in first gear. It seems the longer I have the clutch pushed to the ground, the lower it grabs. It's VERy inconsistant! But if I'm just driving and step on the clutch quickly and upshift, it gives me no problems. I don't get it!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
ha ha!! I have an idea to try.

Since it got low on fluid, it probably has air in the line(s). Bleed the clutch.

I would be willing to bet that that is your problem, especially since it is so inconsistent (due to air bubbles).

Bleeding the clutch is real simple.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call me stupid but can u give me a quick rundown on how to bleed to clutch? How much too bleed?? anything??

·
Registered
666 Posts
If your pedal won't come back up, air in the lines is the problem exactly. Bleeding is easy. It really helps to have a friend though. Jack the front of the car up, ramps are easiest, but, jackstands will do. Shake the car before you get under it. Make sure it won't fall on you. Then find your slave cylinder for the clutch, it's bolted to the front of the tranny. Have your friend pump the clutch SLOWLY 6 or 7 times and hold it down. If you pump the clutch crazy fast, you'll make bubbles, and you'll still have air in the lines. While he/she is holding the pedal down, use a 10mm wrench to open up the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. You should hear some air coming out, followed by some fluid. Keep doing this until nothing but fluid comes out. I've found a really easy way to tell is to get a clear glass jar, and some clear plastic tubing like from an aquarium. Put the tubing over the end of the bleeder valve. Fill the jar half full with brake fluid. Put the other end of the tube into the jar. That way, you can see the air coming out. This will work for brakes, too, BTW.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oh, duh, after every 3 or 4 times opening the bleeder valve, check to make sure you have enough clutch fluid. Maybe every 2 times or so, that master cylinder is small... If your fluid level gets too low, you'll get more air in the system. Keep it topped off.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You're not stupid. TexasMX6GT told you right. I don't know if I would go through the trouble of doing the jar thing, but that is fine.... Well, I guess that would keep you from spraying hydraulic fluid all over the place, I'll keep that in mind next time I have to do a job like that. Good tip Texas!!!

That aquarium tubing would probably fit just right, and it is only $2.00 or so for like 6 feet of it

·
Registered
666 Posts
Nod, and Wal-Mart carries it, or at least they used to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts