Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch started acting strange tonight. Everything was fine, except the brake warning light on the dash occationally lit up whenever I hit the brakes slightly hard, so I figured the brake fluid just needed toping up. This happened a couple months ago, so I topped up the fluid and it's been fine ever since.

Suddenly, I noticed the clutch was engageing very close to the floor as I started in 1st. Then the clutch pedal began losing pressure and I couldn't get out of 1st gear, so I stalled the car to a stop. I topped up the reservoir and started up again in neutral. I found that when I shift and brake often, the clutch will stick to the floor again not allow me to shift, but if I wait between shifts and don't hold the clutch in until I need to shift, the pressure in the pedal seems to build back up a little allowing me to use the clutch just long enough to change gears. Also, the brake light came on almost each time I used the brakes. I managed to drive my car about 20 miles home through city traffic trying not to leave 2nd gear.

Now that my car is home, what should I do to look for the problem? Does this sound like the master cylinder or the slave, or something else? Is it normal for this kind of problem to happen suddenly without much warning? My car was shifting normally this morning.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sounds like you've got the same problem that I have, If you look behind the clutch pedal where it goes into the firewall you'll probably see that it is leeking around the rod that moves when you engage the clutch. I don't have a clue how to fix this, but if you have this problem and get it fixed, let me know what to do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update...

I ended up taking it to the shop since I had no time to look at it. Turned out to be a leak in a flex hose between the master and slave cylinder (I think). $22 part from Mazda and charged 1.5hrs labour to replace part & bleed/refil system. Problem solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts