Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Whats the best clutch for long life and torque holding?

• Act

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Southbend DXD

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Clutchmasters

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 1 9.1%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I searched and gathered some info already. But as time passes, clutches wear differently and people's opinions change.

Basically, I'm looking for a good heavy duty clutch for the long haul. One that will have somewhat of the same longevity of the stocker, so I can install and forget about it. One that will hold 16+ psi and future turbo upgrades with ease and won't totally rape my wallet.

I'm not that hard on my car, so the amount of abuse between the street and track season would only be moderate. I'm not looking for overkill, but again I want it to last.

Choices:

#1: Act Clutch, the 'lower' model claims to hold up to 330 or so ft-lbs, which is probably 100 more than I'm making right now so that leaves me some room to mod still. I've heard almost all good things about this one.

#2: Southbend DXD: Heard mixed reviews of it, some swear by it. Seems like it can hold as good amount of torque. It seems like a fairly new clutch so longevity is questionable.

#3: Clutchmasters: I heard some negative stuff about the lower models, but no one seems to like Centerforce at all so this is next best idea.

Anyone who's had one of these (or others) in for a good amount of milage let me know.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I've got about 9k miles on my SB DXD now. At first it didn't grip like I was expecting, but I got used to it. I only have 250 ft lbs of tq so I don't know how well it would hold up for very high power, but I'm about to find out when I put in my nitrous kit. As far as engagement, it will chirp 2nd but that's about it. Not a very harsh clutch at all for a 6 puck.

If I had to do it over again I would have spent another $100 or so and got a nice ACT. I have yet to hear any negative comments on those. ACT gets my vote for performance, SB for longetivity.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, the only thing holding me back from the 330 ft-lb holding ACT clutch kit, is questionable longevity...The DXD is priced the same I believe, both seem to have the same power limitations.

Clutchmasters seems totally out of the question, I doubt a Stage I will hold much for a long time and Stage III's pricing at www.rr-racing.com is almost $475 shipped!. I'm only looking to spend $400 shipped.

I just can't decide, The DXD kevlar disc appears to be stronger than the ACT's organic stock (exedy?) disc. However the DXD pressure plate is questionable, and the ACT's plate seems superior. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm going to be giving www.specclutch.com a try here soon. I've heard good things about them from other drivers, but no one with a Mazda yet. Hopefully they're a good value, and not just cheaper. I don't have the extra $$$ to spend on an ACT. The "stage three" SPEC holds 425 ftlb, is a 4-puck with sprung hub, and is only $370. The equivalent ACT is around $500. They also make an AL flywheel for under 4 bills.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I have heard good things about SPEC clutches. One of my friends with a z31 turbo says everyone with those cars uses those clutches, even a guy with almost 500 whp and 500 wtq. Definately something to look into, and for the price...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ok it looks like I have a bad rear main seal. Now I hate opening things up with out adding some sort of a performace part to it. Hopefully the machine shop is going to pay to fix the rear amin by writing me out a check.
I'll replace it with an OEM mazda seal but while I'm at it I think I should replce the clutch too. THere is a high likelyhood that things could be getting contamined by the leaking seal. I currently dont have the funds to swap in the GT tranny like I've been wanting to.
An old sorce Jay said that I should be fine on the f2 tranny with a good clutch as long as I dont get crazy with it. My tranny is very low millege now so I thinkI'll keep it. While looking for clutchs I found that my options were limited.
ACT is out of the question because they were very expensive with a low tq handling 285 lb tq.
Centerforce is out becuase I already have one and it did fine but with only a 90% tq handlig that puts it at 247 lb tq.
DXD doesn't have a proper listing, it just says what its good for but not how much power it can take.
Basicly all the clutchs I looked at sucked for what I want. Then I saw the spec clutch. It can handle up to 370lb tq and only costs $369. Its a stage three kit, so depending on how much I get this may be the cltuch for me.
evo

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
evo-try clutchcityonline.com
I bought an OE Exedy disk w/Daikin Pressure plate w/pilot and throwout for $120, I know you arent looking for a stocker.

But an ACT stage 1 is merely an OE Exedy disk (same one as I bought) and a modified pressure plate...but $200 more.
Plus the fact that you are still running an LX tranny which has a different flywheel than the GT...although you have an FE3..so I'm not sure what combo you actually have?

What I mean is that you might not want to spend a fortune on an insane clutch that might break your tranny because it's launching too hard and doesnt work well as a daily driver

Clutchcityonline also has alot of different combos that you can order, Exedy has a few "stages" as well as Spec, ACT, and there are a few other brands on their site too. All with listings and torque holding specs.

Also, I took a look at MSGT-R's old Exedy disk with 240K...it still looked to have MORE than a few miles on it. Might be something to check into, you might save yourself a few bucks mixing and matching

1 - 8 of 8 Posts