Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I had my car running in neutral for a while, friends car broke down so we waited for supplys to put his new ball joint in and stuff. A little later I went to get into my car and the clutch pedal went to the floor like it wasnt there. And it didnt wanna go in gear. And I notice sometime it wont go into 5th, so I have to go, 4th, and then into 5th. Is this my tranny or is it maybe just cause its cold out here (below freezing). New clutch put in BTW. Thanks

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about 9K ago....

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed that when I press it that only like 2-3 inches to the floor is there acually any pressure, the rest is all give.

·
Registered
271 Posts
you need to bleed your clutch line. add more brake fluid to your master cylinder and locate your clutch line. follow it till it goes into your transmission. right above where it goes into your transmission there should be a bleed valve. bleed it like you would bleed some brakes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey guy's i need help and please be very specific with answers.
i was driving my car just before and went to push the clutch down as normal to engae 1st and start driving when sudenly the clutch did not return up and i can't engage gears, so i can't drive the car and i left it in the city. the clutch pedal is frozen on the floor and it won't engage in any gear's, so i turned it off and put it in 1st then started her and she bunny hopped like crazy and this was with clutch frozen on the floor!!! Do i need to tow it or how can i fix it. New clutch kit was installed 5 months ago and when i rang the guy just now he said it is nothing to do with the clutch kit he put in it was the clutch hydraulics so he won't cover the warranty on it. is this true???
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yea it sounds like the master and or slave cylinder needs replacing .. not to hard or expensive but I don’t think you want to do it in a car park in the city.. get it towed home and go to Mazda they will sell you a kit for either end of the clutch cable ..
Having said that, if you check /top up the break/ hydraulic fluid, you may find if you pull the peddle up and down a few times it may become drivable for a bit.. good luck..

G

·
i had this same problem with my mx...turned out to be the slave cylinder. slave cylinders usually run between 60-80 from mazda. easy fix.

·
Registered
78 Posts
thanks heaps guy's i really appreiciate it, on further inspection i found hydraulic fluid leaking out of the brake hose justunder/beside the battery from what i could tell so and the master cylinder was almost empty promting the light on the dash, so is it as simple as changing the broken hose and flushing/bleeding the system??? I will take your advice and also change the slave cylinders, will let you know tonight on further inspection.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Found the sucker!!!
OK i pulled the battery out and right below it there is a small amount of flexible hose that connects to hard line piping at both ends and the flexible hose has a tine crack in it that is leaking fluid.
So if i change this hose and flush and bleed the brakes and manual trans it should be ok right! i might change the slave cylinder later as i need my car to get to work!
is there anything else i need to do???
Thanks again guy's.
VB
one more thing, is the slave cylinder the one next to the petrol filter with all the hard line's coming out of it??? or where is it?
And the bleed screw for the clutch is just behind the radiator right??? in the centre on top of the manual trans???
THanks

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Cool so it was just the flexi line that goes to the slave cylinder.. yea don’t bother replacing the cylinders yet (master is the one @ the peddle, slave is the one on the transmit ion)..
As im sure you know the clutch cable and the breaks use the same fluid/system.. So as a matter of course you should bleed both the clutch and the breaks..
The slave cylinder has a nipple on it much the same as a break caliper.. you bleed it in much the same way..
Good luck..

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey guys pleased to let you know that all is fine again, i replaced the flexi line and bled the clutch and brakes except for the front passenger caliper cos the bleed screw is broken off so this weekend i will pull the caliper off and get it out. thanks heaps for your help but one more thing where the bleed screw for the clutch is is that where the slave cylinder is cos i still can't find it???
Thanks

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Air Bleeding

Slave Cylinder

CAUTION:
Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water. Use only specified fluid. Do not mix different brands of fluid. Do not reuse brake fluid.

NOTE:
The clutch hydraulic system must be bled to remove air whenever a hydraulic line is disconnected. The fluid reservoir must be kept at least 3/4 full or higher during the bleeding procedure.

1. Remove the bleeder cap from the slave cylinder and attach a vinyl hose to the bleeder screw.

2. Place the other end of the vinyl hose into a clear container partially filled with specified fluid.

NOTE:
It is very important that an assistant maintain constant pressure on the pedal until the pedal drops all the way down and the bleeder screw is closed again. If pedal pressure is released, air will be drawn back into the system.

3. Have an assistant depress the clutch pedal and hold it down.

4. With the clutch pedal depressed, loosen the bleeder screw to let the air escape the system.

5. Tighten the bleeder screw. Repeat this procedure until no air comes from the vinyl hose.

6. When there is no more air in the system, tighten the bleeder screw to 6-8 N-m (53-78 lb-in).

7. Slowly pump the clutch pedal several times to verify there is no fluid leakage.

8. Check for correct clutch pedal operation.

9. Check for proper operation of the brake system.

·
Registered
78 Posts
thats fantastic that is how i did it, thanks heaps Mr mx6 AGAIN your a legend!!!
i figured that was the blled screw cos the line went to it but i thought that the slave cylinder looked different but now i know so i can change it if it ever goes bad.
What book is that picture and explanation out of?
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Cheers mate, my book, any time just ask..
Mr. Mx6…

1 - 15 of 15 Posts