Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To replace the clutch on the mx6 do I have to remove the whole engine or can I access the tranny/clutch by removing the axles from the hub? This is probably a dumb question. Thanks

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I suggest getting the Haynes manual. I don't have mine handy, but it details removing the necessary stuff to get to the clutch. I think it's transmission only, but I haven't read that part in a long time.

Tyson

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have two versions of the manual one for mx6/probe and one mx6/626. Both aren't very clear on the procedure.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I just did it today. Remove the battery first, then the intake, then whatever hoses you deem necessary. Then loosen the wheels, jack the front of the car up, take a five minute swear break, take off the wheels, drain the tranny, unbolt everything - with the 3-ton jack underneath it, drop the tranny, swear for 15 minutes or so, apologize to the neighbors and explain to their 3-year-old that you were wrong to swear, spend 2 hours trying to get the tranny to line up, swear for another 30 minutes - INSIDE!!! - try once more to get the tranny in, and succeed, bolt the tranny back onto the block, put the drive axles back in, partially re-attach the wheels, fill the tranny w/ fluid, lower the car, finish the wheels, put back all the hoses, put the intake on, put the battery back, and go take a shower, thanking God that you didn't just have to do that to an AWD DSM, which requires dismantling the more complicated half of the car.

Did I forget anything?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts