Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I killed my clutch on the way from Melbourne to Sydney today and now I need to get it replaced. I managed to pull into Albury and a mechanic there confirmed that the clutch is dead. When I engage it into any gear, there is a really bad grinding noise.

I am in Sydney until Monday next week so I need to get my car fixed by Friday. Who is Sydney can recommend a good and cheap place to get my clutch replaced preferably near North Strathfield as that is where I am staying? After reading through most of the post, everyone seems to agree that the best clutch is the Daikin HD. Could someone please confirm that and what is the cheapest place to get in Sydney?

I am currently at a Internet Cafe and don't have internet access where I am staying so could you please contact me on 0422393555 with the name and number of a place to get my car fixed. Thanks heaps!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Damn man that sucks:mad:

Only places i know of are out west, is the car drivable? If so give western sydney clutches a call, dont know the number, just look them up, they made a custom one up for my mechanic who owns a 626 turbo using series 5 rx7 parts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can get a Daiken kit from pretty much any auto parts store. They'll probably have to order it in but it shouldn't cost more than $400 for the Heavy Duty kit.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
$500 for the clutch, I got one last week.

Sorry can't help you out with finding a place. Just buy the clutch and get a mobile mechanic, or local backyard mechanic to do it.

Tripharn

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Been ringing around all morning and the cheapest quote I've found so far is $480 for a Daikin Heavy Duty Clutch Kit and $269 to install it. Wasn't there a guy in Sydney who managed to get the Daikin HD clutch kit for $320?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out today after getting my Daikin HD that my clutch wasn't the problem. Apparently the spigot bearing died and now my input shaft is dead as well. I have to get the input shaft replaced and see if there is any damage to the gears.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap new or secondhand input shaft in Sydney?

·
Registered
793 Posts
i doubt any one will sell you just the input shaft

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah well, things just gets from bad to worst. I found out today that my input shaft, input shaft bearing, 5th gear and pinion shaft all need to be replaced with new items totalling $800. I now have to spend about $1300 just to get my gearbox rebuild with those parts and together with the new clutch and everything else, my bill is currently totaling just over $2K. The good news is my diff is still in very good condition since the last rebuilt.

A word of advice, never go to Granville Brake and Clutch as they are the biggest rip-off. I ended up having to tow my car to another place because they were trying to rip me off bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts