Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright.... i drive a 4 cyl 6 and im looking for a stage 3 clutch for it. im getting a jdm klze swap w/ a twin turbo after acquiring some "dinero", but till then i need a clutch, and there is not one place that i can find that has a stage 3 for a 4 cly. i need alot of info on where and how much, if there even is one so help me out people.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
woah.... ummm a couple things here stand out.

Converting a I4 to a V6???
Twin Turbo???

well....you oviously don't know what is involved in a v6 swap. but anywho, when you change out that I4 to a V6 you would ofcourse have to put in a V6 trans. With the V6 trans in you can use any clutch that is made for the V6. You would find it cheaper just to get a 6 with a ze in it already.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well one thing your missing are the letters "jdm". this means to all the newbies out there that it is a japinese engine w/ 200 horses right off the line other than 160 horses for the american stock 6 engine (which will also give me more boost w/ the twin turbo). so im not going to be a pus and buy a 6 cyl 6 like everyone else. this is MY car and "i do what i want". ill give yall pics once its up and runnin

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
razzle_dazzle said:
well one thing your missing are the letters "jdm". this means to all the newbies out there that it is a japinese engine w/ 200 horses right off the line other than 160 horses for the american stock 6 engine (which will also give me more boost w/ the twin turbo). so im not going to be a pus and buy a 6 cyl 6 like everyone else. this is MY car and "i do what i want". ill give yall pics once its up and runnin
Wow.... whos the newbie...:rolleyes:

Anyway, you might want to dig up a bit more info before you go throwing out statements and trying to make people who are obviously smarter then you look stupid. Here's the small list of things you may want to consider/research before you even think about this project at all.

1. As Both I, and Unkiedave, know the KLZE is the Jspec 2.5L V6 engine. It WILL NOT be a direct swap into an I4 engine. To get it to fit in your car you are looking at the need of ECU, motor mounts, tranny..... basically the entire front end of a V6 MX6. That being said you can see unkiedaves point.... I hope. You will need a V6 6 as a parts car before you can even consider this swap. Most people who would want to do this swap would simply go buy a V6 MX6, (Preferably with blown engine), and sell the I4. It makes far more sense.

2. But assuming you are thinking of actually do this swap, (Trust me, I have doubts), why would you get an upgraded I4 clutch? You won't be able to reuse the 4 banger tranny with the KLZE. So therefore you won't be able to use the clutch you buy.

3. The KLZE engine is not the engine to boost. The KL03 is. The higher compression of the ZE does not lend itself to forced induction setups. You will not get "more boost", but since you're not a newbie I'm sure you knew this and simply mistyped.

So maybe being intelligent about the way you do things is being a "pus". I don't know. You can do absolutely anything you want with your car. But realize that people like unkiedave are only trying to help you and give you some insight into something you obviously haven't researched at all. Good luck, I think you're gonna need it ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
well one thing your missing are the letters "jdm". this means to all the newbies out there that it is a japinese engine w/ 200 horses right off the line other than 160 horses for the american stock 6 engine
He didn't miss anything...You said you had a 4cyl mx6 ( I4 engine) and you were swaping a klze ( v6 engine)....i think everyone on this site knows that any ze motors are jap. spec. and are faster but fact is the kl-ze is a v6 you have a I4 so you would be doing a v6 swap regardless werther or not its a ze or 03.

jdm klze swap w/ a twin turbo
Twin turbo?? let alone a single turbo on a ZE (higher compession motor than 03) is close to unheard of.

unkiedave gave you the honest Truth nicely at that, many people would roast you on the stake.So i would suggest that you read up before you speak(well not speak but before you reply with additude and say such un-feasable things.) sorry if thats harsh but its all true buddy. Can't wait till i see your pics.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
kennybohhok said:

i took to long typin lol so see many people WILL roast you at the stake.
I generally try to stay nice until the other person cops an attitude of some sort. To insinuate that unkiedave is a newbie and doesn't know what a ZE is.... It's just damn funny.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
go for it buddy

lol...go for it, and dont forget to post ALOT of detailed pics of your engine swap when your done...you have to show all the "newbies" on this site what a bitch you are...and oh yeah, we're gonna need pics of of your 4cyl. stage 3 clutch (which i cant find, and i would imagine is not worth your cash) duct taped to that -*V6*- tranny...lol, your right rylinkus....it is just damn funny

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Frankly I can think of cooler engine swaps if you want to do something difficult. I'd love to see someone find a way to wedge a some sort of V8 under the hood. How bout a 302? Hell you can S/C those and make far more power then I will ever expect to see from my ZE.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im sorry

ok ill admit i wasn't thinking, its exam time and as im writing this down im studying for 3 exams, so my brain isn't working well, but i was not insinuating that ukiedave was a newbie, i was refering to anyone else who wanted to know ( someone told me that "jdm" stood for japinese dynamics motors... or somthing like that so thats what i got the inpresson of) and i havn't been looking for an engine since july, so im a little rusty. but when i go and ask a question about clutches and someone goes for your throat, it hurts. and ill fight back.(sometimes blindly). i have started reading up on our engine and everything i need for a swap and i say i could do it, i have a steady flow of income, a good place to ASK PEOPLE!!! about my car ,and a shop to do to it in. but the reason you don't see more nice street cars out there is because people allways say it can't be done. well im for any new idea, retarded or not. maby im crazy... which has been known to happen to me in the past, or maby im not, either way, there are cars out there waiting to be discovered, because i know hondas arn't the only cars worth fixing up. roast me, fry me, skew me. "frankly dear i don't give a d***". but just remember that anyone can go stock. i say our car has more potential than anything, i mean i saw one outrun an integra type r in the quarter. i know theres somthing special there. so lets increace the peace and help some ppl out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o yea

ok i know most ppl here don't like me, which im fine w/ but has anyone herd of the 800 hp mx6 that was on horsepower tv?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hey man, no hard feelings. Just gotta know the facts. And if you don't and need to ask that's fine. It happens. My car isn't running right and Im a bit lost. Can't seem to get the info I need to solve my issues either.

There's a ton of info here and a bunch of ways to make your car fast. I can name people who have some pretty fast Probes/6s. I can even include myself in that catergory. :)

As for real speed if you have the money, the options I see are .....

1. Turbo your car. A turboed I4 can be quite fast. I'm sure if you look around there are some members that can show you a good example.

2. Swap to a V6 to start with. While it's commendable to want to make your 6 fast, it's going to be easier if your starting HP is higher. It's FAR easier to simply sell your 6 and get a V6 then try to swap. And if you want a KLZE, fuind a 6 with blown motor and pick it up dirt cheap. Everything I suggest from here is for the KL03. It just makes sense to statr with the bigger engine.

3. Turbo the KL03. It takes boost pretty well and can put down some serious power. There are plenty of 200-250 whp KL03 powered cars out there. It's a pain to do, but it's much more rare then a lot of car. You can't even buy a deent turbo kit for our car.

4. Nitrous. There's plenty of members that run plenty fast with just a bottle. Maybe it's not the most difficult way to go, but certainly an option.

5. Stroker Kits. They seemed to be a bit more in style a year or 2 ago. They do exist for these car. Or at least they did. It was more rare then the others listed above and I thought cooler. Perhaps it didn't produce the most amazing results. But sometimes being unique is the best result you can get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanx rylinkus

ok now there is a huge question i need to ask about turbo. i just got "maximum boost" last week i have slowly been reading, but one thing that keeps getting me... ok now ive been seeing tons of people saying higher compression is bad for turbos, like the klze, but if you drop the compression of it it will be better for the turbo, but you will lose power to the engine,so whats the point? you can't win for losing. but in maximum boost it says the only efficent way to drop the compression is to replace your old pistons with ones w/ a "dish" in the center.... ok so what im getting from that is that with a dip in the center of the cylinder focuses the explosion on the center of the cylinder, and ive learned many times in science class that alot of pressure applied to a large area=little psi, and focusing pressure on a small area will create a greater pressure. in other words the more focused the explosion is applied to a spot, the greater the power. so the whole "disk" weakens your cars psi on the turbo? see where im lost yet? and but the compression ratio is for psi:intercooler efficency right? so if this is right dosn't that mean just get a better intercooler? someone help me here. my mind is in overload right now over this, so a little relief would help. (ps. im going for the fs-ze, from what im seeing its 300 hp(fully transformed) can outdo any 6 cyl so if i need to be informed goahead and inform) (ps2- what is the difference between the KL03-and the KLDE, arn't they both stock american V6s? i dunno, but till i do PEACE!!!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Wow. Thanks for sticking up for me guys.
Honestly I am still a Newbie. I have been on this site activly for 2 years but still I would consider myself a newbie. The day a Mod God doesn't tell me something I don't know is the day I'll no longer be a newbie (it's going to be awhile).

If I went for your throat I'm sorry. MY intent was to keep this post from turning into a post where you would get flamed.

I've only read through posts about this and have no actual experence but here is what I have been able to gather:

I4-V6:
Once this issue was addressed and people figured out everything needed for a swap it became very ovious that the price to do this was more than a used v6. For about the price of haveving a v6 front clip welded onto your I4 you could have gotten a nice v6 ls.
I know you love your car. We all do. If you have time do a cost write up and compare it to the rough number I'm about to give you.

They idea of trashing your car and buying a new one is kind of scary for someone who loves there car. So consider keeping your I4 for everyday driving and decide if you want to keep her after your project is over.
What about doing it this way....

Go pick up a a high milage v6 with a good body and acceptable interior. You should be able to find one for less than 1500.

For about $2000 you can get of the internet and Ebay: Tokico or KYB struts, eibach springs, drilled brembo rotors F/B, Axis Metal Master Pads, Stainless steel brake lines, KYB Strut Mount, Custom mandrel bent exhaust (Magnaflow is a good deal), RR-Racing Short throw Shifter, Clutch Master Stage 3 (I heard the stage 3 and 4 SPECS are good too), MX3 fly wheel, MSD ignition wires, Front and Rear Poly Engine Mount Inserts, Front and rear Strut tower braces

Have the old engine rebuilt with stronger internals (rods, pistons, ect..) grind out the VRIS system. this will cost you the saem as a ZE engine but will hold Much more boost than the ZE and will last longer.

Now the fun part. A turbo kit. you could build a basic non intercooled system for 1500 but who wants that :). for 3000 you can have an intercooled setup running a T3/4 turbo putting out 6-12 psi. with an upgraded fuel system (bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, Fuel pressure regulator) and an upgraded ignition control (msd 6a ingintion control, Blaster Cap, wires, and spark plugs). With a system like this 250 whp is well within your grasp........ son of a b!tch.... just read your post that you wrote while I was writing this. Well this is wasted info but I refuse to delete it!!! I spent too much time on this.

I agree with the turboed I4 idea. It's going to be the most cost effective. SPEC makes stage 3 and 4 clutchs for the I4.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
And to repeat an important message..... Spec stuff is VERY high quality. I can't say that I see a lot of info on the boards about them. Honestly until recently I didn't even know they made stuff for our cars. But they def make good stuff. Ask a Chevy guy about Spec quality. I'll bet you never get a bad review.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'll weigh in on this for you.

As an I4 and V6 owner I know exactly your dilemma.

And as addressed above, an I4 to V6 swap is unfeasable since it will cost too much to attempt. Why would anyone want to waste their money for no reason whatsoever? And don't forget the ABS and rear discs you also get on the LS.

So you have really only 2 options to go, one is to buy an LS (such as many of us did) or turbo the I4.

To be honest if I had to do it over I would have probably kept the I4, do the rear disc conversion and slap a turbo on that sucker. It is much easier and iminently cheaper to turbo an I4 than a V6 in our cars. There's so much room in the I4 to work with and it's more advantageous to boost an Inline design engine.

Of course an LS turboed is something else to behold. A few psi and these things turn into monster. Just go to prove that TAG and Porsche did indeed created the KL to use with force induction seeing how well it responds to boost. Too bad Mazda crap out a bit making it not as strong as the original TAG design. Than again, not many people can afford an F1 engine from the 80's.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
parisifal said:

To be honest if I had to do it over I would have probably kept the I4, do the rear disc conversion and slap a turbo on that sucker. It is much easier and iminently cheaper to turbo an I4 than a V6 in our cars. There's so much room in the I4 to work with and it's more advantageous to boost an Inline design engine.

I'm gonna agree whole heartedly here. The biggest pain in the ass with turboing the KL03 seems so simply be the cramped engine bay. The piping is the nightmare of the project more then anything else. My engine bay is cramped enough without even wanting to think of figuring out where all the turbo would fit. Turbo the I4. It'll be pretty unique and certainly fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
but still... what isbetter. the klze turbo or the klde turbo and what are some #to go along w/ it. or is lowering the compresion ratio on the klze(even though wasting money) the fastest way to go. the way i see it money dosn't matter as long as you can get your money back on the track :D but thanx for the advice every1.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I havent seen a boosted ze on this board maybe didnt look hard enough...maybe! a couple on probetalk so i would have no idea on the #'s. (since i never seen it) not saying no one hasnt done it...or its dumb to do i just never seen it done.

Boosted {o3's,de's,} #'s vary....look at it this way since its not a stock setup every ones turbo setup could and mostlikly be diffent...so there arent many steady numbers....You could check out the thread in the FI of all the boosted members and see there numbers and there setups.

I think the thing is...the money to get the ze's compression down could upgrade a o3's internals and make them closer plateforms....unless you have the ze already and then wanna boost then it would make more sense in that aspect..but if you were to have a good o3 then IMO it would make more sense to spruce it and boost it.

The thing most (well prolly a lot of people know but.) people dont hear about the KLZE is that you WILL NOT get that 200hp out of it closer to 170 because of age..wear and tear..etc.....so i would think that a ze swap unless u needed a new replacement is a little overrated. (Please dont flame i'm not sayin ze's arent fast...just a tad bit overratred) and razzle this aint to you im just spit out info that i think would help you out along with your engine swap/ turbo/ future plans. best of luck to you.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Take it from me....someone who knows alot of ****. Take the money you were gonna spend on the KLZE and labor on swapping that engine in and build up your FS02 for boost. Beleive me when I tell you that the FS02 is much more built for boost. Unlike the FS the KL doesnt have block stiffiner which helps with boost. Grab yourself some forged rods and pistons, do some head work, over bore the block, hone it, sleeve it, and you will have youself a mean little beast. The FS02 when Turbo'd has been proven to put down some serious power. Research Bryan Pendleton over on Probetalk. Here is a picture of his engine before he put it in:

That engine right there will be pumping roughly 500FWHP. Now I heard you mention wanting to twin turbo the KLZE, well for one as you mentioned higher compression is bad for turbo. ALSO, turbo'ing any stock engine like the KL03 or KLZE isnt too smart. Those engine arent made to be boosted, you beat on it and IT WILL blow. If you want something more cost friendly and with some damn nice benefits look into turboing your FS02. There are alot of parts already available for our engines which the KL03 doesnt have. I also read you mention about a 800 HP Mx6. In all honesty as much as we all dream we will never in our lifetime own a 800HP Mx6. That Mx6 was most likely owned by a company who had dumped 30 grand into the car or more. That engine was so fine tuned its rediculous, something that not your average tuner could come close to have the equipment or money to pull off. I am just helping you see a reality. NOW....to answer your oriogional question. Clutchmasters and Spec Clutch's both make aStage 3 Clutchfor the 2.0L FS02 engine (which you should stay with). Spec has a much stronger TQ Capacity over stock. Clutchmasters Stage 1 for instance is only 70% over stock, where as Spec Stage 1 is 210% over stock. Hell back to the topic of KL or FS, after my rebuild I will be able to take down even highly modified GT's and much more. I am going with a 13:1 Compression Ratio. The power will be sick and it will be all motor. with some engine management I might even through a 150 shot on it. Its all about knowledge and doing everything the right way.

Josh

1 - 20 of 31 Posts