Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get intermitent CEL and when I checked the codes, I get 16 and 24. I've had 16 there for a while and I know I gotta clean the throttle body to fix that, but 24 is new and it's RHO2S inversion error.
Also, my fuel economy got worse for the past 2 fillups since I noticed that CEL.
So, does that mean I should replace the oxygen sensor on the right side (firewall side)? Or should I check something else first?

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
i had my rh02 out for some time and just replaced it. didnt notice to much of a difference in mpg. but it will build up carbon or something in the cat and you might smell gas coming from the pipe. i say replace it. youll see smoke burning all that carbon out the first day but after that no more check engine light.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
77 bucks is pretty good

think i paid 90 for mine...couldnt find a really cheap 4 wire online so i just bought it local...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same code 24. I'm about to replace the o2 sensor, got it from autozone for 58.99 + tax. Which one is the RHO2? I have one one the exhaust manifold and one behind the Cat.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i have the same code 24. I'm about to replace the o2 sensor, got it from autozone for 58.99 + tax. Which one is the RHO2? I have one one the exhaust manifold and one behind the Cat.
RHO2 should be the one on the header closer to the firewall.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
is this for the V6? I see one on the fron headers, but where is the rear one? (if there is one?) i dont think there is one after my cat. but maybe. Or is it plugged into the bung (S tube from headers-i thought that was for EGR) on the back side?

·
Registered
143 Posts
OBD1 (93-late 95) have two oxygen sensors. One on the front easily noticable and the other right about where the two manifolds meet under the car pre-cat.

and i got mine for i think 20 each. cheap universal densos. i just had to splice the wires myself instead of just a plug. work great.

(edit:)

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Keep in mind, you get what you pay for, namely in quality and longevity. Buy cheap and you'll get a cheap part.

FWIW, Bosch and NTN are both OE Sensor suppliers. Highly recommended. And spend the bucks for the ones with the OE connections. It eliminates the chance for poor connections/corrosion. That means it saves you time and headaches. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rockauto.com has some. I'd get the denso since they are the actual sensors Mazda use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts