Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know everythign about coilover that yall know, i havce read some stuff in superstreet, but how much r they and where can i get them and how much do they help and how do they feel ridding and how do they work and how do they go on and how would they compare to intrax spring, how far can u drop your car, get the point let me know alot of stuff people

G

·
Coilovers - Ground Control

First - Check out http://www.acceleratedaccessories.com for a good price on them.. They are $395 shipped I believe. That's what I paid for mine. They are adjustable height, and you can also purchase different spring rates if you feel the need to. The Eibachs that come with them are a good match for everyday driving. As far as lowering ability - they drop the car a maximum of about 2.5 to 2.75 inches. Of course, you don't have to drop it this far because they are adjustable. Adjustable also means that they can be cornerweighted if you want to do some serious open track driving. My friend has a 3000GT, and EVERY serious open track racer on his mailing list uses them (or a $2000 Tein setup) As far as installation goes, they are a breeze. We rented a spring compressor, and my friend already had all the necessary air tools. It took us 3 hours for the entire job. He has Intrax springs on his 3000GT, and loves them, 'cause they dropped his car perfectly and works well with his factory adjustable shocks. The only downside (and I think we have a fix for it) is that when turning sharp turns, the springs bind on their perches because there is no way for them to rotate on bearings or anything. The fix the 3000GT guys do for this is to cut a piece of rubber hose in half and install on the lower part of the spring where it contacts the perch.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, just got a ?? what does the kit all come with, the spring on the shock or what????

G

·
The kit comes with Spring Perches, adjutable collars, and springs for all four stuts. Oh yeah....and some cool little decals....but I never used them. peace

[Edited by krazy on 10-15-2000 at 09:27 PM]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok people i have a ??? lets say i have 215 40 17in tires, i do by the way, and i had coilovers how far could i drop it and sitll be safe to drive with out rubbing anything or hurting anything on my car, and do u have to buy high $$$ shocks when u get coilovers or can u get some pretty good ones and use them i want some bad now i have my intraxs for sell

·
Registered
488 Posts
The amount of drop is going to depend on the offset of you rim. Do you know it? If not you should still be able to do at least 2" if not 2.5". I know that with the stock offset of 45 mm I could probably drop mine 2.5-3" but most aftermarket rims use a smaller offset and that will move the tire outward towards the fender lip more. As for compared to Intrax I believe the springs that come with the Ground Control kit have a stiffer spring rate, which should actually be better, the Intrax feel a little soft for me. You most definitely will want to get some adjustable struts with coil-overs, it will give you a lot more tunability and let you get the ride you wnat with them. Also your stick struts won't be able to handle the severe drop that the coil-overs will give you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have my coilovers as low as they can go with 225/40x18 tires and my car doesn't rub at all. However, I did have to
roll the fenders. With 215/40x17, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if i have 215 40 17 tires with enkei rp05 rims i could drop it all the way with out rubbing any on any wheel cause i dont want to rub anything i have a tc kit on my car too and i want it to look lower than it is now tell me what yall think

·
Registered
158 Posts
i think that your car will look totally slammed with the coilovers and the the TC kit. I got the camber kit for the front from GC also because I had my car so low that the insides of the tires were wearing out. The only adjustment for camber on our cars is to turn the top of the strut. This only gives four different positions. I wouldn't recommend getting the GC camber kit because it is poorly designed and i have to constantly grease the pivot points or my car makes a nasty snapping noise in the front. However, everything was easy to put in. You're gonna need to shave a little bit off your struts though, because the threaded collars of the kit won't fit over the strut. Not really a big deal. If you're not mechanical, allow yourself a full day. Otherwise it should take about 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks man i hope it looks great like i want it to with the slammed look and the kit on it the kit is not that low but i want it onthe ground just about u know i like that much better jorge has how u put them on on his web page , i will probly get them in about month or so and i will have help with them my dad and my favorite mofo woodnutz( he i son here too) well anything else i need to know about them people

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would also recommend cutting the spring perches off of the struts in the back so you can get your car as low as possible. I wouldn't do it in the front because they go low enough as it is. With them all the way down, I have about 1 inch of travel in the front and back. GC also gives no instructions as to how much to remove from the bump stops because it varies with how low you have them. I have next to nothing for bump stops in the front and rear, but it gives it more travel to make it smoother. I left approximately 1/2" of the bump stops.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hopefully i'll have my pics by this weekend so i can scan them and i'll send you a link as soon as i get them up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts