Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by installing a cold-ait intake, will the car run cooler? Where can I purchase a Cold-Air Intake for a 93 MX6 V6>?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
No, it won't run cooler but the engine will be ingesting cooler air through piping that has has less losses. Cooler air is denser air, with more oxyen per unit volume. This will equate to more power. Using 2.5" or 3" piping with smooth radii and using a cone-style filter will reduce pumping losses and add a bit of power.

If you get a lot of rain or standing water in your area, be careful which one you choose (i.e. how low the filter hangs to the ground...water is not compressible and since one of the strokes in a 4-stroke engine is comrpession, bad and expensive things can happen when the engine tries to compress a liquid that isn't compressible.)

You can make your own with bits and pieces from Home Depot (PVC piping etc) or you can try:

www.hotshot.com
www.prmracing.com

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
colder engine

I saw some table of engine temperatures with and without cold air intake. It shows that with coldair intake its more than 40degrees cooler when cruising at 60mph. what u think>?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I saw some table of engine temperatures with and without cold air intake. It shows that with coldair intake its more than 40degrees cooler when cruising at 60mph. what u think>?
i can guarantee you that they were talking about the temperature of the incoming air, and not the engine temperature itself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
question

Hey fellas i've got a question, and please excuse the ignorance.
i'm currently searching for a cold air intake for my 94 ls v6 and was wondering, my engine is usually extremly hot, hot, hot and stays that way for about 2 hours after its shut off. Now i don't run hot or anything but my overall temp is up there. does anyone know is this normal ? or can something be wrong ? will a CAI help ? by the way my paint is black does that have any thing to do with heat retension ? lemme know ...thanx :eek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
if your engine runs about 1/2 way up on the temp guage - you should check your cooling system. if you guys want to have your car run cooler add redline water wetter and phenolic spacers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts