Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so this is my first post in mx6 world... yippee!
so... okay.. im 17 and i just got a really nice MX-6 Mystere 1994 LS with the KLDE engine.
New rims and a bit lower profile hydoedge tires...
my question was that i want to make the engine bay look a bit nicer than it is
and my buddy has the exact same car as i do... and i really want to burn him
by doing somethng to make this car go faster.... :p
so everyone says that a cold air intake over the stock exhaust is easy and cheap and actually is noticable...? is this true?
and IF so... where would i put the cold air filter? i would take out the old air filter along with the piping... but where would the new one go? and where would the best place be to put the end cone?... this question is kinda bothering me because ive done some research and ive heard of hydo-locking the engine when you drive through puddles... NOT SOMETHING I WANT TO DO TO MY ENGINE...
thoughts would be awesome guys.
Thanks
J

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site!

Well, for starters, you won't really notice the cold air intake.....you need to open up everything. Having a bigger, higher flowing intake and then stock exhaust just defeats the whole purpose. If you go on ebay and search "mx6/probe headers" you'll find a bunch of headers for dirt cheap, like 150 bucks. Once you've insalled headers, a catback exhaust, and a cold air intake you'll feel a difference.

The cold air intake configuration depends on whether your mx6 is standard or automatic. If standard, the intake can run down infront of your rad fans and point towards the ground. If it's automatic you have to settle with a short ram intake, or put the battery in the trunk and run a bend towards the fender.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh and as for hydrolocking, there's this thing called a bypass valve, AEM offers one but there are replicas that do the same thing. It's a foam section of the intake pipe that just absorbs any water passing through the intake. Pretty ingenious.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yea, just get headers and cat-back. i would get those 2 before a cold air intake.

the ebay cold air intakes doesn't stick all the way down past the splash guards under the car. the filter just ends up in front of the tranny. so u probably wouldn't have a problem with hydro locking. I have the ebay CAI, and i've never had a problem with puddles. heck, i've literally driven through ponds without it sucking in enough water to hydro lock the motor.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm... i see what you guys are saying... and its manual... :p
i just dont want to go crazy with it... im not really a "racer" type... i just wanted a couple extra horse... and i heard it made better fuel econ. ? this true? i guess it really depends how you drive it...
Any other cool ideas to make the engine bay look a litter cleaner? ?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The cold air intake doesn't necessarily give you better mpg it's the filter that does it. You can achieve that by replacing the stock filter with a k&n filter or by using a k&n cone filter on a CAI. If you're only looking for a few HP without much work then there isn't really anything you can do. You will most likely never notice small gains unless you let it all go to your head. You can always start by checking on things you already have in the engine bay to get here running top notch' Most mx6's usually aren't.

Few things you can do. Use the search if you don't understand or don't know what it is since all of this has been explained.

1. Run Seafoam threw your intake manifold, Oil and gas tank. Then you will need to change your oil after 20m of run time.. Change your oil, oil filter.. use this time to change your fuel filter as well
2. Change your plugs if they are worn, NGK is recommended.. also change your plugwires, NGK is also recommended.
3. Do a paper test on your VRIS to see if they are working correctly.. This can cause a HUGE loss in tourqe and power if they are not running correctly - It is very common for these to fail after lots of miles
4. Change out your airfilter for a k&n. I would honestly just order a cold air intake from Ebay and throw a k&n cone filter on it. You will only gain a MODEST 2-3 hp from a cold air intake but the sound ALONE is worth one, not necessarily any kind of power.

So these are few things you can do to increase gas mileage and maybe get back some lost power. Anything more then these things then you're going to be spending a lot more time and need a few more tools.

A few moderate things you can do have already been mentioned, Headers and catback exhaust. A catback exhaust is not too hard to do and most people can do it with only little knowledge of working on cars. Headers can be done too, just a little bit harder. You may need access to air tools to break loose your cross-member under the but besides the limited amount of space you have in the engine bay to put them in, thats really the only hard part.

Anyways, good luck and welcome to mx6.com

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cold air intake doesn't necessarily give you better mpg it's the filter that does it. You can achieve that by replacing the stock filter with a k&n filter or by using a k&n cone filter on a CAI. If you're only looking for a few HP without much work then there isn't really anything you can do. You will most likely never notice small gains unless you let it all go to your head. You can always start by checking on things you already have in the engine bay to get here running top notch' Most mx6's usually aren't.

Few things you can do. Use the search if you don't understand or don't know what it is since all of this has been explained.

1. Run Seafoam threw your intake manifold, Oil and gas tank. Then you will need to change your oil after 20m of run time.. Change your oil, oil filter.. use this time to change your fuel filter as well
2. Change your plugs if they are worn, NGK is recommended.. also change your plugwires, NGK is also recommended.
3. Do a paper test on your VRIS to see if they are working correctly.. This can cause a HUGE loss in tourqe and power if they are not running correctly - It is very common for these to fail after lots of miles
4. Change out your airfilter for a k&n. I would honestly just order a cold air intake from Ebay and throw a k&n cone filter on it. You will only gain a MODEST 2-3 hp from a cold air intake but the sound ALONE is worth one, not necessarily any kind of power.

So these are few things you can do to increase gas mileage and maybe get back some lost power. Anything more then these things then you're going to be spending a lot more time and need a few more tools.

A few moderate things you can do have already been mentioned, Headers and catback exhaust. A catback exhaust is not too hard to do and most people can do it with only little knowledge of working on cars. Headers can be done too, just a little bit harder. You may need access to air tools to break loose your cross-member under the but besides the limited amount of space you have in the engine bay to put them in, thats really the only hard part.

Anyways, good luck and welcome to mx6.com
well jee... thanks for all the info!! it really helps! Im an expert when it comes to Nitro boats ( model ) but this new car is quite a new thing... The car actually has 214k on it, but its been kept perfectly... oil changes every 5k and premium gas through its entire life. so its in good shape... also no accidents... so the car is in good shape...
but i always like to improve on what i have... and you say the noise of the car changes with the K&N air filter...? how so?
anyways thanks man
really appreciate it
Justin

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
and you say the noise of the car changes with the K&N air filter...? how so?
anyways thanks man
really appreciate it
Justin
Gives the car a throaty sound when you rev or accel. Without the boxed in air filter the suction basically echo's under the hood.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice.... my girlfriends mom might not like me driving around her daughter in some loud beast tho... hopefully its not like a fartcannon exhaust system.. :p i hate those...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
it doesn't seem like u're committed to making your car go faster. but u just want to burn your friend without much effort.

then just do a tune up, check for ecu codes and resolve them and be done with it. when u need to race your friend, dump your spare tire, dump anything you might keep in the car that's detachable including your gf, and learn to drive the car as it should be driven.

that means u shift at 7000rpm. this motor makes its power in the high rpm range... but don't rev over 7100 rpm at any point cuz' u might drop a valve and blow your motor. without serious mods, 2 identical cars going head to head really comes down to driver skill.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
agreed,the sound from a good cai is good though,reminds ya of the old thermaquads and other 4 barrel carbs from days ago.

·
Registered
30 Posts
it doesn't seem like u're committed to making your car go faster. but u just want to burn your friend without much effort.

then just do a tune up, check for ecu codes and resolve them and be done with it. when u need to race your friend, dump your spare tire, dump anything you might keep in the car that's detachable including your gf, and learn to drive the car as it should be driven.

that means u shift at 7000rpm. this motor makes its power in the high rpm range... but don't rev over 7100 rpm at any point cuz' u might drop a valve and blow your motor. without serious mods, 2 identical cars going head to head really comes down to driver skill.
L
M
F
A
O
!!!!!
"including ur gf"
Bro u justt made my drunken night 100000 times better,

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol... yea i dont think my gf would want to come anyways... :p
alright... yea... we both have the same car... and we're both 17, but he stinks at driving stick.. and as both cars are stick, i think i should take him.. :p but it still would be nice to have a sweeter ride...
thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband has a Mazda MX 6 he purchased brand new. It is a manual 2.0 4 cylinder. My son who wanted to power it up a bit put in a cold air intake system. It runs like crap and we can't find out why. The filter where it is connected is loose so I know it needs a bracket to hold it up which there is none. He added a header muffler system with cherry bombs. It starts hard and it takes a while to warm up and keep it running at an idle. Unfortunately, my son isn't around to ask what the heck he did and why and no other mechanic has been able to figure it out. If I put a picture of the intake system he put in would anyone be able to help us figure out what is wrong with the system. He has the MAF sensor in the middle instead of right next to the filter. Could that be a problem? Also, he has some other looks like sensor of some sort connected to it that I can't figure out. I know a little about cars so maybe you guys can HELP!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts