Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any performance companies that make cold air intakes for mx-6's? I havn't been able to find any and im too lazy to make my own! and i'd probally screw it up anyway, but if someone could give me a website where i can order a cold air intake, that would be great!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
In the future, please try searching (Search icon at the top of the page) for info like this. CAIs are well-discussed topics here.

To answer your question, try www.prmracing.com and/or www.hotshot.com

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im new at this so call me stupid or whatever but if i make my own intake, there is a wire that plugs into my air filter box, do i need that? if i make my own intake i wont have anywhere to plug that into is that bad?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not that stupid, i have taken auto classes at my school and have never paid anyone to work on my car, but i know nothing about the eletronics of a engine..... i was wondering because the vaf is very restrivtive, where can i get my hands on a maf????

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suggest makeing you own, thats what im gonna do cant afford to buy a intake!!!:(

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you know nothing about electronics I would suggest doing the VAF to MAF swap. There is a really good site about the swap being done, I'll see if I can find it. I consider myself to be an intelligent man... but that site looked greek to me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Rogue6 said:
If you know nothing about electronics I would suggest doing the VAF to MAF swap. There is a really good site about the swap being done, I'll see if I can find it. I consider myself to be an intelligent man... but that site looked greek to me.
If you know nothing about electronics, I would NOT suggest a VAF to MAF swap. It is not that simple, and requires modifications to the MAF signal to the ECU, or reprogramming of the ECU. If you are serious about doing the swap, I recommend you read these web pages for 2 different approaches for VAF to MAF conversions: http://www.brownsword.ca/ecucoding.html (Asword's page)
http://home.golden.net/~trinity/massair/massair.htm (Mike '94PGT's Page)
- these guys knows what they're talking about.

G

·
making intake?

i'm sure this is going to sound stupid..but i would just like a brief of how someone would go about making an intake.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
okay... I got a question!!!

so I read Mike and Asword's pages on ECU stuff.

The ECU is a microcontroller right?

well i am presently taking a class at A&M, and let me know if any of this helps b/c I have to design the following and eventually implement this into a microcontroller...

1) BAUD Rate Generator (just finished it)
2) Transmitter
3) Reciever
4) UART Integration
5) Parallel Port
6) Addressing Unit
7) Data Unit
8) Multiplexed Data Bus Structure
9) CPU control
10) Final Integration

you see, I'm using a program called MAX+PLUS 2 that let's you design digital circuits. We design all of the above using K-maps and the like. Our mc is going to be based off the MC68HC05. With MAX+ you could actually design new circuitry, burn it into the microcontroller, and have new inputs the ECU never had.

I know a lot about this stuff, and after May (I say May b/c ENTC 249 is coupled with ENTC349 and I'm in 249) I will have a very extensive knowledge of microcontrollers and assembly language.

If any of this helps let me know... if not then write back and tell me I'm silly but do it nicely. Also, my friend's parents work for Motorola (both vp's) in Austin, so if you need someone to talk to about how this stuff works, I'm sure I could find you name and a number of the people that design these things.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I personally, would rather just buy a maf, slap it on there, and have it work properly...... i hate screwin with eletronics, every time i play with something eletronic i get zapped! But, i've never seen them for sale so...... i guess im outta luck :(

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: okay... I got a question!!!

aggiedj02 said:
so I read Mike and Asword's pages on ECU stuff.

The ECU is a microcontroller right?
'ECU' generally refers to the whole control module: the micro and it's direct perhipherals, the input and output drivers, power supply etc etc. Other general terms are "ECM" and "PCM".

1) BAUD Rate Generator (just finished it)
2) Transmitter
3) Reciever
4) UART Integration
5) Parallel Port
6) Addressing Unit
7) Data Unit
8) Multiplexed Data Bus Structure
9) CPU control
10) Final Integration

you see, I'm using a program called MAX+PLUS 2 that let's you design digital circuits. We design all of the above using K-maps and the like. Our mc is going to be based off the MC68HC05. With MAX+ you could actually design new circuitry, burn it into the microcontroller, and have new inputs the ECU never had.
Sounds like you're using an Altera Flex FPGA and either designing or making use of some existing IP cores. Good stuff.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks Mike... well after this is all over I could build you guys new control and recieve units to interface with your existing micro.

It would be tough but there are other programs such as LABVIEW that lets the user interface with a micro in a windows like environment through the use of a DAC/ADC. Quite lovely... I already built a program to control a stepper motor and all it's functions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts