Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that just about sums up my problem. I have two ignition coils: one in the bracket under the hood and a spare. The spare is actually the original coil from the car from when I bought it. If the car sits for any length of time, the coil under the hood will start the car. But if I plug in the coil that I have sitting in the passenger cabin, it'll start right up. The problem doesn't seem to be the cold, as after sitting in the cabin over night they'll be the same temperature.

I'd really like to get this problem remedied as its a PITA to have to plug a coil in every time I want to go anywhere. I'm out of ideas! Started a new thread for this specific problem in the hopes someone might know...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
26 views and no one has any ideas? :(:(

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Maybe just leave your spare coil plugged in all the time and toss the other one?
I'm gonna have to agree, if the spare coil works just fine why not just use it and throw away the coil giving you issues?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't matter which coil is left plugged in, it won't start if I try to start with the coil that was left under the hood. The "spare" coil that I'm using is actually the one that was on the car to start with. This has be a symptom of a bigger problem, but I'll be damned if I can think of what it might be. :confused:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't even know to what you're referring, lol.

I replaced the "engine" fuse in the fuse box, and the car started on its own after sitting for 4 and 5 hours on two occasions. Didn't need to plug in a different coil, it started off the one under the hood. Wouldn't start right away, though. So, problem improved somewhat, but still not solved.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
this might sound stupid but ground a sparkplug while it won't start. See if the disty is giving you a spark. Then i'd check the coil (which you can skip this since you have two that work obviously). I'd probably say its your disty though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've replaced the cap and the thing under it... recommend I replace the whole thing?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
there is a cap and a rotor. However your problem may be the distributor itself. As in the entire thing. You could also put a test light on the power side of the coil and see if the light blinks to insure the coil is getting power. Which you already have i'm assuming. But did you check for spark yet?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I replaced the entire distributor and I still get the same problem. Although it started up this morning after sitting last night; temperatures went down to -15 or so.

The coil gets power seeing as how the car will start with the spare coil without fail....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
how weird, i'm kinda out of ideas for the moment. I'll ponder this more and maybe something simple will come to mind.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well here's something new. It seems that when I have anything less than about 3/4 of a tank of gas the car will cut out and sputter when doing right turns only and randomly when going in a straight line. It'll just cut out for a few seconds then keep going. It got so bad right before I got to a gas station that it was cutting out more than it was running!

Would this be a faulty fuel pump or injectors or both?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
right turns and cutting out is usually a sign of the fuel pump or at least the the sock on the fuel pump comming off. this is a common issue with the 4ws/4wd models.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would this also explain why, when I start my car with my foot to the floor it takes a good 30-60 seconds for the fuel to actually get there? I'll run real ragged until then... Or is that just because the car is really cold? Hm. I suppose I should take the pump out and investigate. Don't really feel like rooting around in a full tank for the sock, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts