Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello peoples,

New to the site and need a little help with my '92 SOHC 2.2l NA MX6.

I just purchased the car a week ago. It is very hard to start in cold weather( -15 deg celcius average). I have changed the fuel filter, added methol hydrate,plugs, plug wires, distributor rotor, air filter and checked base ignition timing.

The car turns over quickly but does not start. If I leave the block heater plugged in the car starts without any problems. Once running the car runs perfect and starts normally when at operating temp. Though when I park at work for 8 hours it will not start. I normally kill the battery trying to get it to fire up. Eventually it will start though.

I have not done a compression test yet, but when running, the car doesn't blow any type of smoke and has good vacuum.

Anyone have any ideas??

I was thinking that the coolant temp sensor could be the issue but that should effect warm starts as well.

I'm very experienced with DSM's( Eagle Talon's/Eclipse/Laser) as I've raced them for the last 10 years. Although this is my first real troubleshoot with a Mazda so please bare with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
the mx6 is very dependent on 2 sensors, the temp and tps. if the temp sensor is bad it will only run right when it is warmed up and stutter/stall/not start well.

temp sensor is my guess :)

edit: also vaf on non turbo cars. on turbo models it can cause issues, but can be diagnosed by unplugging it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is the exact same issue I've been having all winter. If I swap out the ignition coil the car will start no problem. Maybe I should look into replacing my temp sensor? Maybe the VAF, too... hmm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hey which temp sensor are we tlaking about? the one with that is all by itself or the two that are beside each other conected to coolant lines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it's still having the same problem. What really gets me is once it fires it runs fine. Leading me to believe that the ignition system is ok. Going to check the coolant temp sensor tomorrow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What is the CCA of the battery your running? it could have a dead cell because my MX6 did this with a bad battery. Put a new one in and it starts in -50*C (without being plugged in) no problem

·
Registered
103 Posts
okay yeah i think my temp sensor is gone b/c when i acel my temp gauge goes down
does anyone have one they can get for me? pm me
oh its a 88gt if it make a diff

·
Registered
103 Posts
oh well i think i need that one to b/c if i wiggle a couple wires or a sensor when ignition is one my fan will turn on

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Try a set of hotter rated NGK spark plugs (7-cold, 6-normal, 5-Hot).
Don't run to thick of motor oil.
Make sure your coolant is the right mix.

·
Registered
103 Posts
can anyone get me that temp sensor that they are talking about? and i need a disty with cap
pm me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, did an oil change with 5W30 oil, changed the coolant temp sensor(ecu), installed a new coil and distributor. I Seafoamed the fuel system,crankcase and intake. I also changed the battery to a brand new Optima yellow top...............still the same problem.

I've also changed the sock filter on the fuel pump though the old one was clean. Checked for fuel leaks and found none. This is getting annoying.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Reset fault codes?

remove earth from battery, press brake pedal for 10-15 sec, reconnect..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you checked the timing and/or cam timing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I checked the ignition timing and cam timing. The car runs absolutely perfect once started. Full vacuum, 170psi across all cylinders, zero intake leaks, etc. I checked the TPS today and it did not need any adjustment. I also installed an inline fuel pressure gauge. Steady pressure at all times and within spec. This car hates cold weather.

I did notice a buzzing sound from the ISC while the ignition is on but the motor is not running.....I cleaned the isc out but is this normal???.......Either way the ISC "should" have zero effect on startup. Plus the car idles perfectly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine does the same thing

Hey maybe our cars are the same lot number cause mine hates the cold too. I know that when it drops below zero it just aint gonna start. During the summer or once it starts to warm up it runs like a top just once it gets cold no joy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts