Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only in winter time
When i start the car at 25 degrees or warmer it starts with no problem, but when it is colder it takes 2 or 3 cranks and starts idling rough, rpm jumping up and down. When i drive off the engine shakes rpm still jumping, after 15mins of driving its back to normal.
Now its 0 degrees and wont start at all.

running: 94 mtx ls
5w30 just changed, brand new alt. and
battery, engine turns fine but no start.
i changed the front valve gasket but not the rear.
back 3 spark plug has oil in it-(could this be it??)

PLEASE, any help would be nice.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Does your car have a block heater? If not I would suggest getting one.

I'm not sure how cold 0 degrees F is but Im sure its frickin' cold. When the temp. goes down that low the reserve capacity of the battery also goes down (probably as low as 30%) Say your battery is rated at 550cca that means it only has a capacity of 165cca

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My car doesn't like the cold either. It takes a few cranks one way that i stop it from just cranking is i give it some gas to start it up. Now kc, whats this block heater you speak of....I like the sound of it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I notice in the cold that the car takes a little time to crack over, but it idles at about 1700 and slowly comes down to 800 after about 5 min of warm up, but it was -15 out here last night with a huge winter storm and mine started fine just had to hold the key an extra few seconds, i don't think the oil in the wells would effect it cause it would happen all the time, and well 0 is really not that cold yet, my idea would be a block heater, or have you tried the 5w30 winter oil? What i do is i don't move my car untill i feel heat out of the heaters, then i know its warm enough to go, but be gental, don't go out and rice race anyone untill the neadle is at half. the longer you warm it up the better, so give yourself an extra 5/10min to warm up completly

·
Registered
564 Posts
vrouv06 said:
My car doesn't like the cold either. It takes a few cranks one way that i stop it from just cranking is i give it some gas to start it up. Now kc, whats this block heater you speak of....I like the sound of it.
A block heater is a heater that plugs into 110v (house) and runs into the cooling jacket of you engine. Its a small coil heater that keeps the block warm.

0 deg. F is very cold though, the oil in the pan could also be getting super thick and making it hard for the engine to turn over. The combonation of thick oil and low CCA out of the battery is the reason the engine won't turn over. Up north were the temp. can get as low as -50 C the guys working in the mines/oil fields leave their trucks running 24hours a day for up to 6 months striaght. If they turn them off they won't start without a tiger torch on the oil pan for 20 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.