Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about painting my calipers. Has anyone done this? My next question to everyone is what color should i paint them? My 6 is black and i was thinking red calipers.

·
Registered
283 Posts
those rear lights how did u make the covering like that

·
Registered
579 Posts
sorry for the (-) feedback, but here it goes:

man is it a pain in the ass!!! first you have to scrub scrub scrub scrub scrub with brake cleaner and a brush.. it takes forever!! then you have to mask evreything, and do at least 3 coats.. but unless you have a car lift, it'll take you a weekend.. I'd say pay someone to do it that you know that might give you a discount...

...unless someone has had an easier experience with this..

yeah, red would look good, have you painted your interior at all? if not, how about a different colour? maybe silver.. or how about blue?

[Edited by asso on 04-26-2001 at 11:31 AM]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah it takes some time. My bro just painted his calipers red for his black 6, looks awesome behind the wheels. Anyways we were able to do it while the car was on stands for a week, made it easy because you can take them off the rotor. Anyways if you can't take them off the rotor, just put the car up, take the wheel off and clean up the rust with some sand paper. Shops sell caliper paint (more expensive way to go, we used rust paint, multiple coats) which is more like an epoxy, one coat and it bonds well. Just takes some time to be careful while painting, having a weekend would be nice

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ive painted my calipers red, i have a black car, and my friends i painted black in a white 3000gt. It is very easy. It took about 2-3hrs. The only hard part is taking the wheels off, i hate doing that! I just use dish detergent and scrub the calipers. Then used plastic and covered the suspension, and inside the wheel well. After that i used masking tape on the open parts of the calipers so that i did not get the rotors. Its definetly not hard to do.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
if you see caliper paint...DONT BUY IT!!! its just hi-temp engine paint... and you dont really have to mask anything, just take the caliper off, hold it towards the ground, and spray... my friend didnt even take the calipers off his 318i. he just sprayed, rotors and all. he took his car around the block after it dried and he had a stripe on the inside and outside of the rotor where the caliper doesnt grab... it actually looked pretty cool.

and if you have drums... dont paint them. i hate when i see a civic or womething with painted drums. why would you want to hilight something so non-performance as drums?...ricey, i think...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mx64u2catch, the taillights were pretty easy to make. I bought some vinyl at my local sigh store. It took me about a sunday afternoon to make. You have to do it in layers because of the curve of the taillight. I got the idea from JPMXGT, heres his site it really helped alot.
http://www.geocities.com/jpmx6gt/
Email me if you got any questons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts