Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a video on a dsm site and they was spraying something in too the intake as it was running and it cleaning the engine out... was it tb cleaner??? any ideas?? :confused:

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Probably hooking a vacuum port to ATX fluid with the car running. As with anything of that nature, the amount has to be regulated or you can and will hydrolock the engine.

I do know one thing, when my head gasket blew, the cylinder that the coolant leaked into was amazingly clean. Just food for thought I guess...

G

·
for starters... make sure you have a new or relatively new pcv valve so you're not puking extra crankcase crap into your intake.... then... go to the autoparts store and get "intake system cleaner" or "carb cleaner" they come in spray cans and are the same substance... disconnect your intake boot from your throttle body, and spray some of the cleaner onto the throttle plate... crack the throttle open and take an old toothbrush and spray liberal amounts of the cleaner in and brush off all the caked on black deposits... make sure to get the back of the throttle butterfly...

now, leave the intake boot off but leave the MAF sensor plugged in ... start up the car (may be a little hard starting at first but don't worry)... let the car idle for a little bit, and then crack the throttle open and hold the rpm's up at say like 2000 rpm's and spray a small mist of the cleaner into the throttle body... you have to balance the amount you're spraying in with the rpm's so you don't stall the car out... don't have to go too crazy... you're not gonna clean off the whole plenum this way... maybe spray for like 30 seconds...

connect everything back up... let it run and rev it up to clear everything out... don't worry thick smelly smoke for a minute or two is normal...

now take your car out and redline it a few times like a rental car... for extra good measure, add a fuel additive to your gas tank to clean out your injectors...

now go drive your car and enjoy the improved throttle response and gas mileage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts