Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I'm having trouble visualizing the setup in my head but I think you may be on to something Damian. I was planning on giving my spare charge pipe to my roommate but now I may just have to use it for my own purposes. BTW, how can you claim to be a spelling champ when you say "identicle" instead of identical?!?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Memorable Quotes from
Better Off Dead... (1985)

Monique Junot: He keeps putting his testicles all over me.
Lane Myer: Excuse me?
Monique Junot: You know, like octopus? Testicles?
Lane Myer: Ohhhh. TENTacles. N-T. BIG DIFFERENCE :lol:

There isnt much to visualize, you replace the lower intercooler hose with a charge pipe that has been turned upside down. You attach charge pipe to charge pipe with a small section of straight rubber hose and two clamps, and attach charge pipe to intercooler with another straight section of hose with two more clamps

Done deal

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Possibly more stable boost pressure?

Rubber hoses swell with pressure, metal wouldnt.

Not really something you'd jump up and down over but...........

I thought about the possibility of fusing both upper and lower pipes via welding (yes they're metal not aluminum) but now that I think about it when you give throttle the piping moves as is, from the turbo to intercooler. I'm not sure because I'm not down in my engine bay while I'm driving, but I doubt the lower intercooler to upper charge pipe is much different and you'd want some sort of flexion between the two pieces. This is my reasoning for using a straight section of bulk hose to fuse the two rather than welding.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i don't think i have had a problem with boost stability but then again i could be not even noticing it...lol. i'll give it a try since i have another set of pipes.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I thought about the possibility of fusing both upper and lower pipes via welding (yes they're metal not aluminum) but now that I think about it, when you give throttle the piping moves as is fromt he turbo to intercooler. I'm not sure because I'm not down in my engine bay while I'm driving, but I doubt the lower intercooler to upper charge pipe is much different and you'd want some sort of flexion between the two pieces. This is my reasoning for using a straight section of bulk hose to fuse the two rather than welding.

I

·
0 Posts
So where do I get an extra pipe?

I'm new guys, so please don't:flamer:me
if this is a really stupid question!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
85gts said:
is there any benefit to this? maybe use it as a mock up for larger pipes maybe?
yeah thats a good idea, i heard theres 3 1st gen GT's in my junkyard...gay thing is i havent been able to get out there lately...they cant want too much for some stupid piping. even though 99% of turbo cars that hit that junkyard get stripped of their turbo components after the first day of being there. but for a mock up to make bigger better pipes i would assume the rubber hose is going to have the warped bends in them anyways..

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've never understood your guys hang up on bigger IC piping. Look at the inlet/outlet on the intercooler. That's how big the rest of the piping should be. No sense in running 2"+ when the inlet/outlet are 1.75"

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
i thought about this, and while looking in the summit racing magazine they sell the do it yourself exhaust systems, i figured maybe its possible to use one of those for making IC piping it includes a bunch of different angles, the only thing you gotta do is by-pass/BOV placement and get the silicone connectors..

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
SD6 said:
I've never understood your guys hang up on bigger IC piping. Look at the inlet/outlet on the intercooler. That's how big the rest of the piping should be. No sense in running 2"+ when the inlet/outlet are 1.75"
Exactly, there is no sense using larger diameter piping on the turbo's outlet to intercooler inlet if you keep the inlet the same size. On the intercooler outlet it is somewhat of a different story as boost pressure doesnt hit any walls and cause turbulance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts