Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
so is the probinator chip available for all Gen1 MX6's??? or is this only for the US Delivered ones??? as I'm about to embark on a journey of installing an Aus Spec (as im in aus) ECU, loom and head onto my GC FEt, would the probinator chip be useful??? or would someone have a backup of the eprom coding i could get so i can flash mine with it???

also just a quick question, what's the difference between an eprom and an eeprom?

EDIT: Btw, nice write up mate, i found it quite interesting :D

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
If your in Oz just get Woo's ecu mod...he is still doing them on the w/e I cost me $250 all up..

I bought the zombie one as well, and was going to do a comparo to see which one was better, but never got around to it....
I did hear a rumour though that the zombie chip is not supposed to work in the oz spec ECU's...I cant see how that can be the case...but none the less it is a rumour circulating..which I havent verified.

And yes this is a nice how to.....Its my daytime job so getting access to a solder sucker makes life very easy..its barely a 10minute mod when you have access to the right tools!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
no, you desolder the original pins and gently remove the eprom with either a chip puller or your fingers "carefully".

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I agree that there needs to be more detail as to how to desolder the EPROM from the board, as this is the most confusing part for a novice. Need a solder pump or similar - i.e. for each pin, you heat the solder on the pin up to a liquid state, suck the solder up with the pump, and repeat for all pins until all pins are loose (i.e. no solder is left on the board). As mentioned, this can also be done with a copper solder braid - place the copper braid over the solder joint, then heat braid + joint up until the solder is sucked into the braid.

Sometimes you may need solder flux to get the solder to flow. Solder flux is a liquid that you squirt on the solder joints to remove oxidation and allow the solder to flow more easily. After you're done soldering the new chip in, the flux needs to be washed off the board (with water) once you're done. Board should be placed under a heat lamp to dry afterwards for a good couple of hours (don't apply power to board while it is wet).

Also, care should be taken in removing the EPROM as if you aren't careful or tug on the EPROM before all of the pins are loose/desoldered, you can damage the through-hole pads on the board (rendering it junk unless you can repair it yourself.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts