Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I like the sound of my DSM BPV hooked up as a BPV. :tup:

I agree the stock location is poor as it does require the air to route in the oposite direction.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
You forgot. All those ill symptoms are gone when the vaf is run AFTER the BOV.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah, but how could THAT be done on a 1st GEN GT? Sounds like another project to me, would have to place the VAF on the charge pipe after the intercooler, but is that possible on opur car?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
1st question : Is there a point at wich the stock bypass valve needs to be swapped?
How many lbs boost or hpr can it support before it cant recirculate
enough air to save the turbo between shifts (spools) ?

Some of us already have bov's wich are not a problem with stand alone engine management to eliminate the vaf (air flow meter).

2nd question : Can an HKS ssbov that is used in its bypass set-up (adapter and hose
kit) work with these cars in stock trim or would they recirculate too
much air ?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
yes you can have the SSQ recirculate with the fitting. Its been said that the stock bpv leaks at above 12psi
Most people, about 95%+ can't afford standalone here or think it wouldn't be worth putting on a car like this

·
Registered
26 Posts
Second question,

What are the effects of directly replacing the stock recirculating with a BOV?

Can it be done without welding a flange?

-Marco

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
BigBoiV said:
1. What are the effects of directly replacing the stock recirculating with a BOV?

2. Can it be done without welding a flange?
There are so many threads about this. :sigh:

1. slight richness between shifts.. bad idle if it doesn't seal completely under vac after pressure is released.

2. only if it bolts up to the stock BPV flange.. so probably not unless you vent your stock BPV (which will kill your idle because it's not closed at idle).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
There are so many threads about this. :sigh:

1. slight richness between shifts.. bad idle if it doesn't seal completely under vac after pressure is released.

2. only if it bolts up to the stock BPV flange.. so probably not unless you vent your stock BPV (which will kill your idle because it's not closed at idle).
I know there are several threads, I read them. Those threads were just not indicating where the BOV was being installed as opposed to this one. I was curious of the issue that would be cause of leaving it in the same location.

So I take it a welded flange is needed?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
BigBoiV said:
I know there are several threads, I read them. Those threads were just not indicating where the BOV was being installed as opposed to this one.
Then apparently it was no thread talking about putting a BOV on in place of a BPV...
I was curious of the issue that would be cause of leaving it in the same location.
No different issue than installing it in any location after the VAF before the throttel body.
So I take it a welded flange is needed?
Yes, or zip ties and some RTV.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
SixSick6 said:
And don't forget the vaf that you use is different than the vaf in the 1st gens. Are you lacking an air intake temperature sensor inside your vaf? We're not.
The 2g VAF has it's IAT built in as well. However, many people with 2g's have had success with the VAF as described by rebel2k4.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I didn't say it was.. did anyone in this thread?.. I don't think so. In fact, did anyone in this thread ever specify what generation VAF they were talking about?.. no, I don't think so.. but honestly, I didn't look.

However, it's in a 1g forum, so I'm not supporting anyone ever assumed we were talking about a 2g VAF.. I was assuming 1g the entire time. I thought you asked a question if the 2g VAF had an IAT built in.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
I didn't say it was.. did anyone in this thread?
Yes, Brandon did here:
rebel2k4 said:
You forgot. All those ill symptoms are gone when the vaf is run AFTER the BOV.
As he is doing it this way on his 2G. But don't ask him how many 1G motors he has wrecked. Ever read about the function of the air intake temp sensor?

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Argh, here again...

I must be damn special or something, since running a BOV yeilds no problems for me. Yes, it backfires. So do my 2G's when they're open piped on ocassion. Big deal.

As for the rich condition after venting? Funny thing I've noticed with my AEM wideband gague hooked up. It does this nearly whenever you let off the throttle, right before going to full vacuum and thus full lean. And it does it whether I go into boost or stay in vacuum.

I'll have to make a nice little movie to show you all. :rolleyes:

Laters
Ryan

1 - 20 of 85 Posts