Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Wow nice write-up. I did a t3 conversion a while back using a 48/42 saab turbo. I eventually blew 3 motors with it leaning out though. Be careful.

However with a cracked piston, I put down like 180 whp and 249 ft lbs on 12 psi, 5300 ft above sea level.

:tup: to upgraded turbos. T-bird ihi hybrids suck a fat ball in comparison.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Bang for your buck... my T3 conversion cost me $25 for the turbo, and like $20 for gaskets, pipe, and flanges... I must be the exception, or I just know how to shop.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
SixSick6 said:
Or lucky to have found one in good shape for so cheap, or have access to welding supplies at your disposal, and the list goes on.

Granted to you had a cracked piston in 4, but you put down only 180hp.

Julio on the other hand had a HUGE rip in his throttle body boot and out down 202hp and 296 fpt :freak:
What elevation is san diego again?

BTW I had a compression of 55-90-90-90 so it wasnt just that one cylinder, the whole motor was junk. Dont try to argue excuses, I'm not making any. I'm impressed with what the car did but you know what? I could give a rip. You think my numbers were low? thats cool. My first gen will forever be stock again unless the next owner decides to mod it. My mx3 on the other hand... heheh talk about 13's on a 1st gen mx6's stock boost level.....

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This thread is not about who's motor did what with what compression, but about the upgrading your motor with the VF-30. Please keep on topic. Thanks!! :)

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Actually we were referring to how F2t's perform with upgraded turbos. but fine, I wont post in your thread anymore.

One last thing though... those are some beautiful welds on the turbo to manifold. What brand of welder was that? Did you do the welding?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
rebel2k4 said:
One last thing though... those are some beautiful welds on the turbo to manifold. What brand of welder was that? Did you do the welding?
I second that. Those are some damn fine welds. You make this how-to so much easier than it is in reality. I'm trying to dig in doing the T3 conversion as I have a custom manifold with a T3 flange. All I'm waiting on is the O2 sensor bung pipe and I' ll be ready for my install (plus removing the A/C).

BTW Very nice setup :tup:

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rebel2k4 said:
Using a MillerMatic Mig welder with Argon Gas. My good buddy Zach actually did those ones, I'm almost as good...But not quite. :)

And of course there's a bit more involved in that, assembly, dissasembly, you'll undoubetly run into problems. But that's what this thread is for, solving them as they come up.

Laters
Ryan

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I honestly don't know if it's on any particular car or not but it is a fairly popular upgrade for the Subaru Guys.

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
745 Posts
Correct. Very big upgrade for the WRX. My dad who owns an STi was considering this turbo. Supposeed to be a real good setup. Yours looks good. Hows the overall performance?

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
JC91MX6 said:
Correct. Very big upgrade for the WRX. My dad who owns an STi was considering this turbo. Supposeed to be a real good setup. Yours looks good. Hows the overall performance?
I'm very happy with the overall performance. In my opinion, makes for a great turbo for this motor. Spool up is very quick (though about 1k later than the stocker) and it will hold whatever boost I like up to fuel cut. and considering the fun I have on stock fuel at 10-11 psi, there's lots of room to grow with chip/pump/cam.

Maybe you could answer something for me...What is the turbo on the WRX and STI, is it a VF family similar to the 30?

I'll check on some of the Subaru forums as well, though I may discover it. And I bet any of the other VF family turbo's, especially those on WRX's would be great on a F2T. I know the VF-22 does wonders ;)

Edit: So far I've found that the VF-30/34 is actually a tad bigger than the USDM STi which uses the VF-39. The VF-34 BB is the one used on the JDM STi and the VF-22 was used in the JDM STi back around 1996. And so far teh cheapest place I've seen ANY of these turbo's is here:

http://www.turbometrics.com/store/index.php?cPath=22_44_65

They've got VF-30's for $699, and VF-34's vor only $729!! That's hundreds less for the 34 than I've seen other places, and for $30 more, why the hell wouldn't you upgrade to BB?!?! Damn I might have to sell mine and buy that 34, I'd love to have boost 500-700 rpm sooner!!

That's about all for now, I'll post more as I find it.

Laters
Ryan

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
JC91MX6 said:
The STi comes stock with a VF-22.
Ah, you missed the edit...

In my reasearch an older version of the STi comes with the VF-22, circa 1996, while the newer JDM versions came with the VF-35 and the USDM version comes with the VF-39.

Overall the VF-22 being the biggest, followed by the VF-34/30 then the 35 and then the 39.

I found that info on www.clubwrx.net now if I could only find it again...I searched the words VF-22, VF-30 and STi in different incarnations and can't find that info again...Hmm...

Laters
Ryan

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
SixSick6 said:
tHiS thR34d Is TeH Go0D-wo0t!
Insightful stuff like this will get you over 8,000 posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts