Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I never mentioned it was a Commodore SS! (but it was) I'm interested to know how you know about them!

Yes they are doing left hooks for export markets - apparently the saudis love these cars. These cars are great in a straight line, but brakes and suspension are not matched to the engine and make it an "involving" and "interesting" drive, to quote the journos.

A local outfit called HSV take these up to 300kw (400bhp) using mods from Callaway in the US. They also fix the "package" with humungus brakes and a good suspension package.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOPS

Sorry hit new thread instead of "REPLY"!
That should've gone against the BMW735 kill story!

Please accept the humble apologies of a newbie...

Ric (sometimes spelt with a silent "p" at the front)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well the Commodore is analogous to GM's US-market midsize sedans (Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Intrigue). Only thing is that GM's US intermediates are front-drive :)() and cannot be had with manual trannies! Double :(! GM showed two Ozzie cars in Detroit in January: an eCommodore with a hybrid electric-gasoline drivetrain, and an odd variant of the Ute (our analogy to that was the Chevrolet El Camino, BTW) that had a bed cap with a waterbed mattress inside. That one gave me a few, errr.... ideas :D

Errr.. which Commodore trim level includes the supercharged 3800 V6? I'd be interested in finding out about those, too. I can't believe they make 'em in LHD... wish I could convert the gauges to imperial units, though :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
The second car they showed was the "Sandman" panel van, basically a covered ute, they were really big here in the 70's.

It looks totally cool, but when they brought it over to the states they had the airbrush the naked chick on the side mural!! The union guys over there wouldn't unload it from the boat until GM got an artist to put a lei and a grass skirt on her!!

Can you believe that? it was shown here at the Melboure motor show for 3 weeks without one complaint.

I think it's the XU-6 with the 3.8L superchanged engine, have a look at http://www.hsv.com.au for more info.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Panik said:
It looks totally cool, but when they brought it over to the states they had the airbrush the naked chick on the side mural!! The union guys over there wouldn't unload it from the boat until GM got an artist to put a lei and a grass skirt on her!!
Well, you've gotta understand that the US is home to, among other things -- Bob Jones University. Factors like that that ensure that we may never have such an uninhibited view on the human body... :(

OK, I just perused the HSV page.

YOU LUCKY SONSABITCHES!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

:)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
we r maybe lucky to know they are made on Oz, but the price and insurance qoates for HSV are trough the roof( even humble SS isn't far behind with insurance). the basic and cheaper HSV are still not refined well for thier price. dont get me wrong i loove holdens its just the quallity i dont respect.

BTW our statesman is sold as Chevrolet Impalla Caprice, the Commodore is known as Chevrolet Omega(Middle east) or Opel/vaxual Omega(europe). you can actually get the Holden Commodore in US only if you import it from Mexico they turn them into LHD and sell them for AU$16000(just a roumer, but who knows?)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$16000

Just so you don't think we're talking dead presidents here...

$16,000 Aus = $8,000 US...

no wait...

$16,000 Aus = $7,000 US, just a minute, $6.5k, $6k,

By the time this post finds it's way on the thread I suspect my latest check of the exchange rate will be out by at least half a percent!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts