Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a 1994 MX6 LS ATX, and I've recently been developing a few problems... and I've had a few others that have been with the car for quite some time! I never knew this place existed, but from what I've searched online, it seems like there are quite a few "common" problems with these cars. A few of my car's "quirks":
  • Transmission jerks hard occasionally going from first to second gear; feels like you hit one huge pot hole. Doesn't do it all the time, and if you release the gas at just the right time, you can pretty much make it go away.
  • Driver's side power window buttons stop working; in my case, the window would go down but it wouldn't go up. Really hard to find a replacement module... went to about seven junk yards before I found one... they said it's probably their second most popular item on an MX6 around my year.
  • Oil in the spark plug wells. I had this problem and it kept getting worse and worse until I went and put some major money into it... new valve cover gaskets seem to have solved the problem. Those spark plugs are way in there! I've never seen another car with holes that deep for them, and when the oil gets in there, it's a huge pain to clean it out sometimes.
  • The cup holder has a tendancy to fall out when you've got a hot drink in it. Never a cold drink, although I'm sure that's just my luck. Either way it falls out a lot.

I'm having two other (semi-major) problems that I haven't really seen anyone mention:
  • When it rains, it's virtually impossible to de-fog all the windows. Maybe it's because this is a really humid area or something, but if I don't crank the heat up full blast, I run the risk of mowing people down when I want to change lanes!!
  • I have a bad belt "squeak". It's the one that connects my alternator and my A/C, among other things. When I start the car, the belt lets out a decently loud "squEEak" and then it stops. If I proceed to turn on the A/C, I get the most horrible noise ever created. If I accelerate really fast when it's doing that, the belt snaps and my battery light comes on. I replaced the belt and it lasted two months before the same thing happened... and now it seems like it's starting to squeak worse and worse again.

I'm particularly curious to know about the things that I haven't found any information on (the last two in the list); however, do any of these sound familiar to you MX6 owners?

·
Registered
118 Posts
the only problem that i have is i cant get my windows defogged either the windshield isnt to hard but the rear almost takes and hour to get defogged. If anyone knows anything or any tricks to help could you tell us. Welcome to mx6.com by the way....Dave

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
yeah, my RS does that transmission thing. and the windows are a pain to defog. Set it to defrost, full heat, and with the AC ON. makes a big difference. the ac removes the moisture from the air and helps the defrost process. Hadn't noticed any of the other problems though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
gen2 problems

quite a few,

*lights switch dosn't turn on inside light(and rear) have to play with it 4 ages

*sunroof dons't open all the way(nevermind pushing up to open it

*runs like s h i t without optimax

*friction noises between door panels and dashboard(where they join)

*that f*kn key reminder absolutly s h i t s me to tears, but don't wanna take it off.

*i better stop

* she goes hard, (make up 4 all that junk) :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
supersaiyan93 said:
yeah, my RS does that transmission thing. and the windows are a pain to defog. Set it to defrost, full heat, and with the AC ON. makes a big difference. the ac removes the moisture from the air and helps the defrost process. Hadn't noticed any of the other problems though.
Yeah, I'd figured out that little trick some time ago (AC + Heat)... but when I hit my AC button, the belt squeaks and breaks! :(

I've gotta take it in to get that looked at, I know... but I just spent about $1100 on new plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, water pump, gaskets, an air intake, and four tires... I'm broke!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*shrug* I know about as much about cars as you know about nuclear physics (assuming you aren't indeed a nuclear physicist). It works sometimes, it doesn't work other times. If it squeaks really loud, I turn it off. If I don't turn it off, my battery light comes on shortly thereafter. There's the extent of my knowledge. :)

"Does it break when you do that?"
"Yes, it does."
"Then don't do that!"

·
Registered
352 Posts
Transmission jerks hard occasionally going from first to second gear; feels like you hit one huge pot hole. Doesn't do it all the time, and if you release the gas at just the right time, you can pretty much make it go away.
Could be motor mounts, but the ATX's are known to be problematic. Since it doesn't happen all the time, I would suspect the tranny.

But to test your engine mounts, step on the brake, put the car into drive/reverse, step on the gas (w/ur foot still on the brake) while having someone else watch the engine for excessive movement.

Driver's side power window buttons stop working; in my case, the window would go down but it wouldn't go up. Really hard to find a replacement module... went to about seven junk yards before I found one... they said it's probably their second most popular item on an MX6 around my year.
The window swtiches were a real crummy design, there is a little plastic tab on the bottom of the switch itself that tends to break, though with yours just going down - it might be bent or something other.

You can always pull the switch for the passenger window and move it to the drivers side for now, you'll have to remove the door panel and switch assembly.

• When it rains, it's virtually impossible to de-fog all the windows. Maybe it's because this is a really humid area or something, but if I don't crank the heat up full blast, I run the risk of mowing people down when I want to change lanes!!
  • I have a bad belt "squeak". It's the one that connects my alternator and my A/C, among other things. When I start the car, the belt lets out a decently loud "squEEak" and then it stops. If I proceed to turn on the A/C, I get the most horrible noise ever created. If I accelerate really fast when it's doing that, the belt snaps and my battery light comes on. I replaced the belt and it lasted two months before the same thing happened... and now it seems like it's starting to squeak worse and worse again.
Sounds to me too to like the A/C compressor, which would probably be more money than you wish to spend at the moment, but you'll have to drive with your windows (atleast a crack) open in the rain to defog, without a working a/c.

G

·
I have a 95 ls mtx. No problems for about a year, then one day it started to hate me.

- Drivers side rear brake calipure locked up while I was on a 600mile trip. and ate the rotor.

- Passangers window motor going out. sometimes doesnt want to push the window all the way back up.

- Had to replace my Valve cover gaskets. It was leaking Oil onto the #2 spark plug.

Other than that normal tune-ups have kept her in good form.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 93 LS with only 55K on it and I just had a barrage of problems... look out for:

OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT...this one is big, you can loose all your oil

sunroof doesn't close all the way

O2 sensors replaced

My alternator is dying

Replace spark plug wires

I'm kinda disappointed in the reliability in my car, I know its old but its barely broken in and it was in mint condition when I got it and I take extreme care of it. I've come to the conclusion my next car will not be a mazda......gotta be a Nissan.

Oh, and listen to Tyson, he's the master at determining the problems, all the things I have searched for he's in there with the answer!

G

·
I've had ALL those probs!

I couldn't believe it when I saw your post man. I've had all those problems. I also have a lot of shaking when stopped and in drive. Being in neutral stops the shaking. My antenna also broke a while ago, but that was easy to replace.

My research has shown that all ATX Mx6s have the shift problem. I HATE ATX. But here's my advice:

As you know, L shift between 1-2 only, S 1-3, and D 1-4 w/o Hold. Well my car, in D or S shifts hard between 1-2 (still crappy on other shifts, just not nearly as bad). But in L, MOST of the time it's pretty smooth. So now it's just a reflex for me to go down to L at stops and then shift up to D after the 1-2 shift.

My car is pretty messed up right now, it's w/o AC and a different color hood, fender, and front bumper from a VERY stupid crash on my part. I hydroplaned into a tree. I have paid dearly for this mistake. If I had an LS w/ 5spd and it was all ONE nice color, I would be very happy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I mainly only have had cosmetic problems with my car, such as the weatherstripping on the drivers side door and window being bad, the nylon cord in the power antenna broke so it doesn't go down or up, and the paint job on the roof/hood/trunk lid is all dull and faded. Though it does have an oil burning problem, before it burned oil like it was it's job and then I added some no smoke stuff and now it is a lot less, but still burns oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My antenna doesn't go up or down anymore, either. It sounds like it's trying, though!

Scottmeister: do your RPMs drop when it shakes? I was having this problem and I needed to replace my valve cover gaskets. Fixed the problem 100%. If the RPMs are dropping, check to see how much oil is in your spark plug wells... if there's a decent amount, try and shove a cloth into them with a screwdriver or something to soak up some of the oil.

·
Registered
83 Posts
really creepy steering knock, caliper seizing up, brake pedal seems to go too far down - though I just had brakes done when I got it. Auto fell apart (converter, cooler, every clutch pack and spring was McF*cked) Still love my Mazzie though :)

G

·
Well.. I have many problems

I just got my Mx6 July 29th I bought it in full for 1650 after the guy told me he had sold it right before... i was pissed because i drove over 2 1/2 hours out of the way....
Then I couldnt get my tag because something about a power of attorney..yeah that was great still in the process of that..
Then now my transmission has gone out... which is great I am in the process of getting in rebuilt as we speak!
My drivers side window won't go down as well.. My valves need to be adjusted i think... My car makes that noise to but its not because of my air conditioner it goes like right off after i go a little bit an it only does that sometimes...
My key that came with my car does not fit my doors so i can not lock them or get in my trunk from the outside..
Umm.. I think that is about it for now...lol

G

·
RPMs fine at idle

Hey Zeromus-X:

My mechanic has taken care of the gasket/oil problems awhile ago. He also adjusted my idle to be lower so that it doesn't vibrate as much. I think the vibration has to do with the mounts. The MX-6 just has too many problems. I'm getting my AC fixed and it painted pretty soon, so it'll be great except the ATX. Can't stand the thing. Please tell me how the 1-2 shift in your car does in L. I'm pretty sure the harsh shift has to do with shift points, cuz I can get it to shift perfect when I do everything manually (Hold mode). I can't wait to sell it and get myself something a little more reliable, powerful, and sexy. Just took it on a 500 mile road trip and it did great though, I'm happy for that!

-Scott

G

·
Another thing (about the antenna)

Hey I almost forgot Zeromus-X:

Your antenna has a long plastic coil thingy (I'm not very technical) with "gear teeth" inside it. That's what broke. Make sure you either just replace that coil that raises and lowers the antenna, or get an antenna just like it. I got a generic one and it was a pain to install. I had to bend my own mounts and has to bypass the relay that lets the radio raise it when it's turned on. Instead, my antenna goes up every time I turn on the car, which is fine unless you go through a car wash (gotta turn off the car). Just a little heads up.

-Scott

1 - 20 of 25 Posts