Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
say i was to go to a junk/salvage yrd. what would have a larger turbo that i could use on my car? i have alot of cheap junk yrds but dont want to pay $700 for a turbo upgrade when there is a chance that i could find something cheaper in a junk yrd

1988 GT MX-6:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
what about for the NON-turbo models?! i've been considering upgrading my LX engine with a turbo, and all i hear is that you need a complete engine/transmission and many more parts from the GT models only, and that LX/DX wouldnt be able to function with a turbo....then i look at all these honda civics out there with crappy 1.6L engines with turbos that give them 220 horsepower! and those are regular honda vtec engines...nothing TOO fancy. any possibilities for the non-fortunate 6s out there??

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There are MFG that make turbo kits for the Honda's and such; and offer them for sale. No such group for the MX6's. That makes a big difference. So now instead of 1000's of rice boys having a turbo you are only just a one of a kind. Next you have to figure out how much you are going to spend on this one of a kind. 10K, 15K? Next the recomendation comes to just get a turbo MX6 since they will only set you back less than 5K. A quick search with find this same message said over and over. You got 10K to turbo your car? Go ahead.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Manifest take it easy on him...looks like you have 2 turbos already man...you're making it harder on the n/a dudes trying to move up!;)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Manifest has just seen too many people wanting to go fast but who don't want to do anything to correct way. They want the cheap route everytime. Well, speed costs money. You can slap a turbo on any motor, but you'll blow it up unless you spend the time and money to design it correctly. The honda guys' cars accept turbos pretty well because those motors are built real strong to begin with...partly for Honda reliability, and partly to withstand the super high piston speeds that go along with an 8k redline.
I spend a lot of money on my car and my motor is still stock. I'm just trying to chase this idea I have in my head of what my car SHOULD drive and look like, and the going is slow because while I'm saving up for new parts I'm also putting miles on my car -slowly wearing it out.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Basicly the point I was trying to make. Turbo 6's are fairly easy to get a hold of right now; but it will not always be so easy. 3K gets you a very nice car with about 100K on it. 4K gets you one with 70K and 5K will get you a mint 6GT. They are out there. This is much less than trying to turbo a non GT.

Don't think there will be any more GT's in my garage unless I can find a 88-89 in mint shape; that is a grey GT with a stick. (with grey interior) Someday there may be room for Miata SE or RX7 or other super sports car though. :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
This is off topic, but I got my car 5 years ago w/ 97k for 6 grand. At the time I didn't feel ripped off but it wasn't a screamin' deal either. It was a trade in at an Acura dealership and they were asking $8400(!)
But yeah, go the 100k GT route. You can find them for even less than 3 grand if you wait and keep your ears/eyes open. Look at Mazdamiester, he's got like $1200 in his car w/ 135k miles and it's generally pretty nice.
Also chase down all the GTs you see and ask the owners if they wanna sell. You can get lucky that way sometimes too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts