Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the guys who could/should have an engine rebuild, We should put together a "Where and What to Buy" for engine parts required for a rebuild, be it a basic rebuild, or a performance rebuild. I myself am in need of a rebuild and have found a shop which gave a quote of $1299 for a complete rebuild WITH installation. I wanted to MAKE SURE that that price was for a full rebuild of the MX6 GT and not the LX, and that they were going to use the appropriate parts. For some reason, the thought of getting my engine rebuilt AND installed for $1299 doesnt seem right, it seems like a too good to be true, and I would get stuck with some Autozone pistons and a car that makes 110 HP @ 16 PSI :lol:....In general I just don't trust that price. I don't trust shops that say they will "REBUILD" your motor:rolleyes: I would do it myself (rebuild) but I am a driveway mechanic in an apartment complex that doesnt like you to change your oil. Alter_Ego used to have a guide that had all of his part numbers and prices, and the shop he went to was reputible and does good work, but I don't know the shops name, and Alter_Ego is is MIA for his own reasons. So does anyone have any input on part numbers, where to buy, what to get etc etc

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Maybe go see if he posted the name on PT? I'm kinda sad that his site's not up right now. I never got alot of the info he had off his page.

I'm out to see if anyone knows of a listing for Total Seal piston rings for the 6.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all of his info is gone along with the website:(

I know a few other members have done full rebuilds, what I am interested in is the differences in rebuilds, some choose to bore their motor out more or less than others, some choose different pistons, whether for money reasons or performance reasons, no two rebuilds are the same unless you are doing an OE rebuild.

I'd go with just ANY place, but like I said, I don't want to go with just ANYPLACE and have them stuff cheapy pistons in my block and rebuild the head with junkyard parts. So having some input in different products would help alot of members who are in the same predicament-not to get ripped off. I have been reading threads and trying to piece info together, but I have never rebuilt the F2T so I have no experience with actual products, I'm not going to post "Venolia Pistons" when I have no experience with them, even though I've heard good things about them...ya know what I'm sayin?:shrug:

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Well I tried and after the 3rd time not being a charm, I've decided to go with a longblock. You just can't match tolerances and the quality of the engine build from the factory IMO, although you can come close with OE parts.

G

·
SixSick6 said:
all of his info is gone along with the website:(

I know a few other members have done full rebuilds, what I am interested in is the differences in rebuilds, some choose to bore their motor out more or less than others, some choose different pistons, whether for money reasons or performance reasons, no two rebuilds are the same unless you are doing an OE rebuild.

I'd go with just ANY place, but like I said, I don't want to go with just ANYPLACE and have them stuff cheapy pistons in my block and rebuild the head with junkyard parts. So having some input in different products would help alot of members who are in the same predicament-not to get ripped off. I have been reading threads and trying to piece info together, but I have never rebuilt the F2T so I have no experience with actual products, I'm not going to post "Venolia Pistons" when I have no experience with them, even though I've heard good things about them...ya know what I'm sayin?:shrug:
You and Julian both live in San Diego, and you have his number...So unless he's dead, or hiding out in kentuckee or something, just call him and ask him who did his engine. They appeared to do a kickass job on it from the pictures.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
what ever did happen to julio sixsick? you obviously know..

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
He's gone for his own reasons, if you don't know him well enough to know, you don't need to know.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
woah woah woah, okay then

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
wow.......what a coinsodence.
i was just wondering the same thing about Alter.. i loved his site.
too bad he has left..for whatever his reasons are. (although im curious as what they are....me likes gossip haha)

·
Registered
514 Posts
yeah I think we all will miss there wisdom, I have no idea how many post from those two I leared stuff in, but it was alot

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am planning on doing an F2T rebuild and i would also like to know where to get parts. I will be doing an OE rebuild. I have not priced out what it would cost to go through MAZDA or FORD but i am sure it would be absurd...i would like to get a kit that included everything for a true rebuild, not just a re-ring job. ANY Help would be much appriciated...if i could spell better that would be cool too...:E

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rebuild on a turbo huh.... I don't know much about the turbo 6 part numbers, but I did a rebuild on my N/A (not by choice). I bought Pauter x-beam rods. Part# MAZ-220-540-1585F. These were 720 bucks. Importperformanceparts.net (which is flatlanderracing.com) has them for $695, but they quoted me 3 weeks just to get them from Pauter. Importperformaceparts.net Also has a "crankshaft kit" of some sort by Topline for $200 bucks, but that sounds wierd and I know nothing more about it. I called a dealer for pricing on stock rods, and they told me $195..... per rod! So the Pauters came out to be cheaper. And 750h.p. + capacity was also a selling point.

I also ordered 9.5:1 pistons from Venolia, but that seems to be a bit much for yer turbo application. (I do think 7.8 is a little low. Maybe ya wanna try n/a pistons.) Then again, the turbo piston are (excuse the spelling) hyperueretic (high silcon compound based). 8.6s would possibly have to be coated to match that quality. Oh duh... the reason I mention Venolia: They charged me (without the pins) $63 per piston, which I thought was extremely reasonable for custom pistons.

I ordered Total Seal gapless rings from a place called Columbus Col-Weld here in columbus. After all the searching, they had em the cheapest. In the net, people were talking 190- 200 +-ish. CCW got em for $130. The part# is 4665 and I got the TS1 set.

In my opinion, $1200 for what is considered today as an "obselete engine" (as I was once told), is mysteriously cheap... Might wanna watch that rebuild.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Clevite Rod Bearings: CB-1362AL 8.50ea
Silv-O-Lite Pistons: 3121H.20 (20 over) 26.76ea Sealed Power
Clevite Mian Bearings: MS1830AL 33.99 Set Autozone
Sealed Power Moly Rings: E542K-.50 62.75 Set
Head Gasket: F220-10-271A 38.61 Mazda
Water Pump: 5764165 38.30 Advanced Auto
Valve Cover set: VS50027R 12.30 Fel-Pro
Cam And Crank Seals: 223420 4.48 National
T-Belt: 40134 26.19 Goodyear
Rear Main: BS40421 11.35 Fel-Pro
Pilot Bearing: BCA 202SS 9.19 National
Oil Cooler Gasket: BPC8-14-702 5.98 Mazda
Thermostat: F201-15-171A 12.90 Mazda
Block Work: Bore,Deck,Polish Crank, 158.55
Swap Pistons, Check Rods
Head Work was done for free, swapped out work.
Misc. Parts 800.00(I also re-did my
turbo set-up)

I think that is a pretty good list of parts and prices. My rebuild was a .20 over. Pistons and bearings were purchased from a local parts store. the pistons are Hyper whatever. same as factory. They are holding 15 psi on a T3.
I hope that this helps.

Matt

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah thats exactly what type of info I am looking for, alot of speculation in what would actually be the best parts for optimum gains ie "how much HP can the F2T handle?" kind of questions. It's nice to see what type of rebuilds members are doing, since probably close to 99% of members need or should have a rebuild

·
Registered
185 Posts
parts

That is a very good parts list. Clevite bearings and sealed power pistons/rings. Melling does make a oil pump, but pretty much a stocker.(I have mine shimed for more press.) Rods would be a good choice because of the better rod bolts they come with. And forged pistons are gonna be 500$ plus, but they are much tougher than hypers (but will still melt under detonation!). You can bulid a stage 2/3 motor but be prepared to just about double the price of a rebuild.

ps felpro makes a print o seal HG that works very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts