Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay I did a quick search but was unable to find what i'm looking for.
Basically I know the ZE has a higher compression ratio but I would like to know how much extra power that gives you. My current plan is to just swap the intake manifold and cams over from my ZE into my DE because I still need to pass emissions and I would like to keep my stronger valve retainers lol also dont have the tools to pull the whole motor out. I also know that the majority of the power gains come from the manifold, cams and ECU.. which I also have the chipped ECU.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ive been told before the extra compression only makes 1-2kw difference, the main improvements are the cams and IM IMO. what your doing is fine IMO.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
don't forget the heads more flow more power. i would just swap the de retainers over to the ze heads.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay to swap the retainers I would need tools I dont have lol... I dont really drive the car hard... never even taken my DE to redline so I might be fine to just swap the heads over yes?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
never even taken my DE to redline so I might be fine to just swap the heads over yes?

:confused: have you driven it before???? lol

with respect to the other comments made earlier.

the ZE makes 36 more hp than the DE. Its very doubtful that all that power comes from the cams...esp given the the ZE cams while different aren't to far from the DE cams.

it would be interesting to know how much of a difference the compression actually makes. I'd say it makes quite a difference based the theory that a gas under higher pressure will release a lot more energy.

·
Registered
778 Posts
well the changes between DE and ZE are:
IM
heads
cams
pistons/compression
ECU

i would say the most power gained from the change is listed in order above (so IM makes more power then heads etc etc)

·
Registered
778 Posts
well im bored, heres my guesstimates:

IM = + 14chp
heads = + 10chp
cams = + 8chp
pistons/compression = + 3chp
ECU = + 1chp
total difference = 36chp

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
okay to swap the retainers I would need tools I dont have lol... I dont really drive the car hard... never even taken my DE to redline so I might be fine to just swap the heads over yes?
out of curiosity, if you never drive the car hard and dont take it to redline... why are you wanting more power?

your cheapest mod will be to drive the car harder when you want to go faster.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
out of curiosity, if you never drive the car hard and dont take it to redline... why are you wanting more power?

your cheapest mod will be to drive the car harder when you want to go faster.
the main reason is that my motor has proved unreliable so far. However now I have an extra motor so once my car is on the road again i'll probably see what she can really do.

I do like to drive it hard every so often when i'm in the mood but what I call driving hard is shifting at 6000-6500 close to redline but not close enough that if I happen to miss a shift i'll hit the limiter... basically I like to be on the safe side 80% of the time but I wouldn't mind having a few more ponys under the hood for the times I do feel like having some fun or when I take it to the track for a day.

plus I bought the parts car for $400 and it has a good ZE in it so why not when I have it in my possession anyways.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
plus I bought the parts car for $400 and it has a good ZE in it so why not when I have it in my possession anyways.
lol that sir is a win.

i thought i was doing well when i bought my ZE parts car at auction for $1500

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol even came with a full black leather interior in half decent shape, brand new tires AND the chipped ECU :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts