Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a compression test on my V6. It read 185 for the lower three (towards the bumper), along with the two outside cylinders towards the windwhield. The one in the middle read 190. Is this fairly common?

My other question, was that when I removed the spark plugs the tips looked great--a little greyish color.. no oil or anything. But down by the washer past the threads there was some junk (it was the texture of vasiline with an oil color). Whats up with this?? I don't know how it got up there.

Alex

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Usually in a compression test, anything over about a 10% variation is bad, so you're safe.

Not sure about the oil question.

·
Registered
483 Posts
greyish color on the spark plug tips is carbon buildup, you probably use 91-93 octane...anyhow still use it(even though there is a debate on whether our v6's should use high octane or not), just rev that engine a few times a month, and if you look in your rearview mirror while redlining you'll see carbon smoke come out of the back. However, try some fuel injector cleaner while doing this it is a good idea...use chevron techron.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts