Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was doing a bit of research and found that mazda used the f series engine block to create a diesel which was placed in some early bongo vans and capella/626. they equipped some with a comprex pressure wave supercharger

after reading this Comprex Pressure Wave Supercharger - Sport Compact Car Magazine i got thinking "could it be possible to use this supercharger on a f2?"

i would like every1s thoughts and would love for some engine pics of the diesel with the supercharger
if there is enough positive interest i would be willing to try one out on my f2

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The comprex is very sensitive to the displacement, EGT, cam lift/duration and especialy RPM.

A stock piece will almost certainly not match up to a near stock F2 gasoline motor and the chamber vloume and legnth is certainly far off of what even an F2 needs to turn a few thousand extra revs over the diesel.

An M62 or similar small displacement supercharger of more common design will be easier to use and be more effective where power is the goal. The comprex was designed to make the F series diesel perform as well as the available gasoline motors while delivering MPG numbers as good or better than an N/A diesel.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
huh. I learned something today. never heard of a comprex before.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ls six what you say makes sense so do you have any info on the m62?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
ls six what you say makes sense so do you have any info on the m62?
The eaton M62 is proabably one of the most common modern superchargers and is most well known as being tha huffer installed on many many GM FWD cars through most of the 90's.

Buick park ave Ultra, Bonneville SSEI, Buick Riviera supercharged and Regal GS among many others from most mid and full sized GM cars.

It also came on the Ford thunderbird super coupe (SC) first gen Cobalt SS Mercedes 230 Kompressor and some others.

All M62's displace 62 cubick inches of air per revolution though later model GM's came with the M90 that displaced 90CI per rev.

There was tha much more compact M40 used on Toyota Previa minivans and I believe 1st gen MR2's.

The 62 and 90 CI versions are the basis of many aftermarked SC kits for 4 cylinder cars and can be had in many configurations.

The best configuration for a 4 banger is proabably the Cobalt/ecotec case that is available from GM as a bolt on conversion for Cavalers and any other ecotec powered car.

The V6 case is somewhat bulky but can be fitted to an F series motor with some fab work relatively easily. Several have been put on KL V6's over the years with great results.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ive read about comprex pressure wave superchargers either in "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell or "Turbocharging Performace Handbook" by Jeff Hartman. ITs pretty much not usable on the street. They are set up for a specific rpm range. I'll try to find the article and post it up.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts

Comprex isn't worth sh*t though. RF-CX produced 75hp and 127ft lbs out of 1998cc, a truly piss poor performance. They also have very low RPM range.

I highly doubt the claim Ferrari had success on using Comprex, or they would've used it. The "in some cases, smaller passenger car applications." statement gives a clue where the 'information' came from. Greenpeace endorsed the development of a self-propelled roadblock using Comprex charged engine a while back, and gave all sort of unfounded claims about the thing. Like being capable of 100psi boost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My RF-CX engine has max boost of 23psi at the moment.

I´m planning to change a bigger intercooler during winter and then get dyno sheets for the car :)

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
careful.....the supercharged diesel is know to stretch the head bolts on high boost....maybe get some ARP studs (if theyre available) before you do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts