Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any body tell me some info about how and what a computer upgrade would do for the mx6ls, i was just thinking about it and i would like to look in to it some time and i want to know what it all can do for me, thanks guys

·
Registered
488 Posts
Unless you have an automatic I wouldn't bother with it. The only times I have heard of anyone getting any noticable improvement with a chip on our engines is with the ATX, mainly because it improves the shift points. For the money you'd be better of spending it on other parts. Also take in to account that almost all chips are designed to work with the stock engine. Every time you add another mod the chip becomes further and further out of the tuning range it was designed for.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but i wanted to know about a entire new computer upgrade, is there anything out there like that i hear of people getting a new one or remapping theres when they get the klze just asking what is the deal, i have heard of JET is that just a chip or what

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
riceater6 said:
thanks but i wanted to know about a entire new computer upgrade, is there anything out there like that i hear of people getting a new one or remapping theres when they get the klze just asking what is the deal, i have heard of JET is that just a chip or what
If you stay with the OEM hardware (i.e. the PCME itself) then the "upgrade" is just the PROM or the firmware in the flash (OBD-II units). When you swap in a KLZE motor, for instance, you can also take the PROM out of the PCM, re-calibrate the VRIS and timing, and put the PROM back in the PCM again. This is one type of upgrade.

Another type involves removing the existing computer completely from the car and installing in it's place, an aftermarket unit from the likes of DFI, Accel etc. This is very, very expensive ($1500+ from disconnecting the battery to turning the key) and difficult to get right. However, if you're a racer with a 500HP purpose built race-only KL-motor, it's the only solution. Not something you'd do for the street.

So you're back to a PROM again. Most chip places are charging in the $300 to $400 range to have you send them your PCM, remove the PROM, install a socket and stick in their own PROM, which is usually a stock PROM with a few changes made here and there (literally, just a few 10s of bytes in most cases) to affect spark timing (usually at WOT only), possibly fuel (but not likely, and if so, only at WOT anyway), cooling fan operation (a few degrees cooler), rev limiter (not always, and on the KL03, why?) etc. They really are making a killing.

Making changes to a PROM is akin to twiddling with carb jets and turning the distributor back of a 60s-vintage engine. By generally (more on this in a sec) tweaking, you're only going to get a few HP at most. By going up or down a size on a jet or turning the disty a few degrees, you won't find 30HP on a 60s engine, assuming it was pretty close to good tune before you started tweaking.

Same thing with the PROM. The cars are so well tuned from the factory that, in many cases, futzing with the timing or fuel will end up costing power, not making it. There are exceptions (detuned GM trucks are one) but the KL is pretty good out of the box.

The only way to make more real power is to get more air moving through the engine. If you do this, the PCM will add the extra required fuel and you have more power. If you go far enough in your mods to get more air, a PROM upgrade can help. By customizing the PROM (as opposed to generalizing a PROM for all customers like a typical chip maker does) to your combo (VRIS points for a port manifold for instance, more WOT fuel), you can gain some power. In the case of the KLZE swap, "upgrading" the PROM (which isn't so much an upgrade as a lateral move) can get you performance out of the ZE that wouldn't be there running on the KL03 PROM.

But for average MX6s and PGTs etc, the 21HP claims made by some of these chip sellers are just plain lying. Ask them for real dyno proof...try to get them to fax you real before and after dyno plots. They won't.

Four words: Don't believe the hype.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unichip

The unichip piggy back computer really worked on my mtx 2nd gen v6 mx6, I gained around 12hp extra, and the acceleration is smooth, also there is a guy on this club a college of mine Mr Coenraad Potgieter also installed the same device on his mx6, this unichip is really worthwhile fitting on and investing in, make sure its a Dastek unichip, and not that sleasy superchip, must say their adds are tempting to fit one.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Before & after dyno plots of the Unichip?

fazelmoosa said:
The unichip piggy back computer really worked on my mtx 2nd gen v6 mx6, I gained around 12hp extra, and the acceleration is smooth, also there is a guy on this club a college of mine Mr Coenraad Potgieter also installed the same device on his mx6, this unichip is really worthwhile fitting on and investing in, make sure its a Dastek unichip, and not that sleasy superchip, must say their adds are tempting to fit one.
Do you have any before & after dyno plots, fazel? If so, can you upload them or email them to me? I'd love to see where 12HP was found by this "Unichip".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dyno plots

Hi mike , I will send my dynoplots to you soon as well as I will try and get Coenraad to send you his dynoplots

Thanx

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: Dyno plots

fazelmoosa said:
Hi mike , I will send my dynoplots to you soon as well as I will try and get Coenraad to send you his dynoplots

Thanx
Thanks Fazel. So how much tuning on the dyno did you guys have to do with this? What was involved in the tuning process (i.e. multiple runs on the dyno, hit load points, monitoring MAP, exhaust gas oxygen etc...)? What was tunable on the unit and how was it tuned (i.e. fuel, spark via PC running a Windoze app... )?

G

·
Yo fazelmoosa!

Its me Rick from Probetalk...
I chatted with you several times about the Unichip...
Can you email me your dyno plots as well?

Also, what is the cost of the Unichip where you live?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Mike , basically they had this dos based software on a notebook pc, the unchip is wired to the existing box , and has an interface which connects to the notebook via some kinda cable , the guy then runs the car on the dyno while mapping this unichip it took about 3 hours to dynotune. Go the website http://www.Dastek.co.za and there will be much more tecnical info and you can email to the guy that designed the unichip for info as well. The reason why I do not think those dyno plots are a hoax is because Coenraad had his unichip fitted by another unichip agent and he came out with similar figures as mine. The car was dynoed in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Whats up Rick,

The unichip cost me in our currency 1650 rands including dynotuning you gotta divide by 7,50 to convert to dollars ie
you looking at about 220 odd dollars

Cheers man

·
Registered
488 Posts
As for price the Unichip is only sold throught authorized dealers and hte price is much higher than $220 here in the states. I seem to remember somewhere in the range or $500-800. Might have gone down since I last looked though. I've seen this set-up on some Ford and Holdens in Australia and they made some major improvements. now these were on V8s but they are modern V8 so they shouldn't be that easy to make extra power with. It definitely looks like a good unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts