Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it is starting to get cold..well I guess it is cold there is snow on the ground, I went to get by backpack out of my trunk this morning and there was ice on the underside of the trunk lid, of course as the day has gone by, when I went to class later, the ice had since melted and the left over water stayed hanging to the trunk lid, and so when you flip the trunk lid up, it all drips down into the trunk. I haven't yet sealed my tailights from leaking (I need to), I was wondering if this is related or if anyone else has this happening.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Yep, check around the bottom and carpet and I bet you will find out it was wet. What happens is that when it gets warm in the trunk, the water (which came in from the taillights) starts to evaporate. It then will get cold and you will see droplets on the trunk. Also check the the "wells" behind the strut towers. Take a light and have it under the car and look under the carpet. I noticed on mine I had a 1 inch by 1/4 inch slit that never got sealed at the factory and it would let in some water. A quick shot of silicone there worked great.

New seals from Mazda should cost about $10 for each side (I just picked up a set myself). They are VERY easy to install. I don't recommend the "DIY" silicone method for the taillights. Once done it sometimes looks real sloppy, and then it becomes difficult to get the tail lights out if you want/need to replace them later (say one gets broken).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I siliconed around my tail light lenses about 5 years ago and no more leaks yet. Yes it does look sloppy if you take a close look but the junk in my trunk looks alot more sloppy. Ha ha.

Anyway I did not put new gaskets in cause I felt that they may just start too leak also.

So ..... looks like you have too options.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so it look sliek it all relates back to the leaky tail light problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You should see my trunk, it is as clean as the interior. I even purchased (for $10 NEW) an extra OEM grey trunk carpet, and it use it as a trunk mat so my regular carpet stays nice. :) Call me anal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm additional carpet isn't a bad idea. I could use some myslef. I might have to look into that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wish i had time to be anal about my car. I'm too busy now restoring a 1913 Colonial house for my wife and expecting child.

Maybe next summer I can be anal about my car.

That would be cool. Haha.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Rbodeman,

Congradulations on the child, those are a lot of fun. (I have a son) And good luck on the house. I have restored 1950's homes and I built my house new. I can tell you that I prefer to build new. It is just so much easier to build up and not have to worrry about tearing out someone elses mess. I think that the only way I would do the restore again is if "This Old House" was doing it with me... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts