Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trims and A/R's are confusing the hell out of me! this is what I gather

Exaust or hot side A/R bigger means better flow boost in the high rpm range

Cold A/R smaller the size the quicket to spool.

Trim I havent figured that out yet :D

I am getting so confused as to what size turbo to pick it is driving me nuts! I dont wanna spend more than $300, All I want is to be able to have it making full boost around 3k or so up to redline. Howeve 6k would be acceptable. I want it to have an internal waste gate but I want it to be easy to block off in the future to run an external wastegate. My piping will have a wastegate flange welded in but blocked off with a plate. Is that asking too much or unrealistic?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
A/R is the size of the compressor and/or turbine housing. A smaller A/R value spools up quicker and be more responsive but won't produce as much peak power as one with a larger A/R value. The bigger A/R value will be able to produce more peak power, but spool up slower/not hit full boost as early as a smaller A/R. Small A/R for turbine means fast spool, but less efficiency at higher rpms to spool the compressor side. Big A/R turbine means more "lag" but will be efficient at high rpms(highway monster). Small compressor A/R means tons of low end power, no high. Big comp A/R is....well you get the point lol.

The trim is the size of the wheel.

A rebuilt super 60 should be about in your price range. For about 100 more, you could pick a t3/t04e.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Oh, and I think I saw some super 60s for sale on ebay for $290 yesterday. They are remanufactured. If I were you, I'd try to avoid the used turbos they have on ebay. You never know what condtion they're in(junkyards maybe). The guy's name is down2turbo. Just email him, he sells tons of turbos.

Here's one of his. He sold the rest(super 60, t3t04e), but he has them in stock, just email.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=2440075879

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chunchoy14 said:
Oh, and I think I saw some super 60s for sale on ebay for $290 yesterday. They are remanufactured. If I were you, I'd try to avoid the used turbos they have on ebay. You never know what condtion they're in(junkyards maybe). The guy's name is down2turbo. Just email him, he sells tons of turbos.

Here's one of his. He sold the rest(super 60, t3t04e), but he has them in stock, just email.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=2440075879
Ahhh you are the man!!! Thats the same guy I was looking at for the other auction I missed. I contacted him and I bought this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=2440246381

·
Registered
744 Posts
OK if you want my version of a perfect turbo for a PGT/MX6 V6....its gotta be the hybrid T3/T04E. Most people honestly dont even know how to rate the trim of their turbo. I originally bought what they called a 50 trim turbo but in fact it was a 71 trim. Its the ratio of the compressor wheel inducer to teh exducer diameters. And the trim doesnt mean all that much when roughyl matching turbos to a motor. The A/R is what you need to get the right specs so your lag fits your specs. I recommend a T3 hot/exhaust side of .63 A/R and stage 2 turbine wheel. And for the compressor cold side I think the T04E 54 or 60 A/R housing with the 57 trim compressor wheel. Those are the specs that SHOULD get full boost (~6-7 psi) between 2800 and 3500 RPM's and it will more than pull up to redline. But since you are looking for a cheap turbo I would recommend finding a used hybrid on ebay or a dsm chat forum. I have a T3 (.48 hot/60 cold) from a T-bird supercoupe and it pulls like a champ running non intercooled on 5 psi. But the nice part about the T3 is I have had some overboost accidents (10-15 psi) and the engine has held it fine so far. Where as the CFM rates from a hybrid big turbo would have blown my head gasket to smitherines. GOD THIS WAS LONG, hope all that mumbo jumbo helps.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts