Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i was recing a 98 contour svt but it was the first time ive seen one so i thought i could beat it it totally kicked my ass so if anyone has raced one let me know and tell me how you did

G

·
ewww

Must have a slow 6.....i rocked ones world last summer. he came up and looked at me, gave me the look and we lined em up, i owned him....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cars stock but i dont think it would have mattered put i think i should have droped it into 3rd intead of forth i we were at a 60mph drop

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yeah, you should've grabbed 3rd. But I still can't believe a POS Ford Contour, even if it was an SVT. EwWWWWWWW

·
Registered
416 Posts
hey man, dont feel too bad, those svt contours have the same 2.5 v-6 as ours, but the svt teams tuned them to produce 200 horses, and with that engine they run a 15.7 1/4 mile, which is in the same ballpark as our 15.6 mx-6

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Dont you guys know that a person on PT is tring to put the SVT engine in his probe. those are fast cars. later

·
Registered
287 Posts
ztriumph said:
hey man, dont feel too bad, those svt contours have the same 2.5 v-6 as ours, but the svt teams tuned them to produce 200 horses, and with that engine they run a 15.7 1/4 mile, which is in the same ballpark as our 15.6 mx-6
Quick correction...the MX6 and Probe have a Mazda engine. The Contour is an all-American Duratec engine that is different from the 6 and PGT, just the same size. Different horse as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No way did you want to drop to 3rd. 4th was the right gear. The power band on the 1st gen turbo is low and going up too high in rpm during a down shift will put you at the end of the power band or at a point where you will very soon be out of the power band.

Stock, the peak HP of 145 is at 4300rpms and peak torque of 190 is at 3500rpms. At 60mph 4th gear would put you somewhere around 3800rpms ( I think). Perfect, right before peak HP but just after peak torque.

3rd would have been a mistake and at 60mph would have put you at 4800rpms. At the down part of the power band. Sure it would still pull great but not as good as 4th and it would be one less shift (time and a chance to miss the gear).

Next time you see him, I'm sure you will get him.

Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
don't the contours and the new cougars share an engine? oh... and i heard RUMOURS that the cougar will be sold also by ford as the 3rd gen of the probe starting in 2002. anyone else hear anything about this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts