Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where can we pick up a new set of bushings? I checked the dealership but the young kid behind the desk said their dealership required me to buy the entire control arm along with the bushings. I have bought bushings for other cars without this problem. Is the MX-6 just different or is the kid behind the desk feeding me a load of crap?

Also, does anyone know where we can buy a factory shop manual for an 89 GT or just the manual itself.

Thanks in advance,

Jared

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
All I can think of is to contact some of the aftermarket suspension companies that make bushings like Addco, Energy suspension or Suspension Techniques. If you find a source, let me know, I'd like to replace mine as well.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It's unfortunate that so many Mazda parts people don't know how to do their jobs.

The control arm bushings ARE available seperately from the control arms. I have a set. What you have to do is look them up in the collision parts book, as opposed to the regular everyday parts book (or microfiche/cd-rom.)

They are expensive, but not near as bad as new control arms. Mine with my frequent customer discount were still $130. That is for four bushings, two on each side. New control arms for both sides will run you well over $600.

The problem you will run into is the actual installation of these things. I took a considerable amount of time to remove my control arms from my car, and took them to the only good suspension place in town. But they said their press wouldn't work with the arms and they were afraid of bending them. I just had to put everything back together.
The answer is to buy the Mazda Special Service Tool for this job.
It is # 49 g034 2a0 and you should be able to buy one from the dealer; they can order it. I haven't gotten around to this yet, so my new bushings are still MIA. (note: when installing the new bushings, coat them with liquid dishwashing detergent so they'll slide into place easier.)

Make super sure that your ball joints are in good shape before going through with this....Doesn't make much sense to replace the bushings if the ball joints are on the way out. And if they go, you DO have to get new arms. Some people have tried to replace the ball joint and it has fallen out on them causing an accident.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
antisuv, wouldn't the Mazda dealer just install the bushings or do you prefer not to deal with them???

I don't think my ball joints are worn but I do have a problem. After installing new springs, struts, endlinks and strut tower bar I notice that the car doesn't take small sharp bumps very well. Regular bumps are fine. I expected the suspension to be much more solid but now I feel a little suspension play and it rattles going over these sharp bumps. I didn't get this with the stock set-up.

What do you guys think? Lower control arm bushings? Any other bushings I should consider? I tried to check out the condition of the control arm bushings. I could spin the driver's side bushing around easily with one finger within the control arm. Does this sound right? Would it be a bad idea to install stiffer aftermarket bushings (provided I can find some) if I'm looking for performance and not concerned with ride quality?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
:rolleyes:
Sorry I've been avoiding my local Mazda dealer for awhile to save money, and also because this dealer sucks. labor to install those bushings might be close to $150-200, so that seems like a lot to pay.
I do know you shouldn't be able to spin the bushing around with your finger; that'd be one source of suspension play. But as for the problem that started when you re-did your suspension, I don't know...
Are you sure that your car isn't more solid? Perhaps it's stiffer in the suspension, and those small vibrations are making something else rattle?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I do know you shouldn't be able to spin the bushing around with your finger; that'd be one source of suspension play. But as for the problem that started when you re-did your suspension, I don't know...
Are you sure that your car isn't more solid? Perhaps it's stiffer in the suspension, and those small vibrations are making something else rattle?
Thanx, yeah car/suspension is a lot more solid but something feels loose and is causing a rattle over sharp quick bumps that don't really compress springs, struts at all. It is exactly like something is not being cushioned by bushings. I'm going to replace control arm bushings and see if that cures it! I bet having bad bushings would kill ball joints huh?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm researching who makes polyurethane bushings for our car. Doesn't look like Addco, energysuspension or prothane makes much besides anti-sway bar stuff. I still have to look at suspension techniques. Are there any others?

Oh, btw I found this little tid bit at energy suspension:

"DID YOU KNOW-
when a vehicle is LOWERED or RAISED beyond stock specifications the original rubber suspension bushings are at a great risk of failing! We're mostly talking about: low riding vehicles, lifted trucks and raised drag race vehicles. OEM/stock rubber usually can't withstand the forces of a vehicle setup at a non-stock riding height."

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
"DID YOU KNOW-
when a vehicle is LOWERED or RAISED beyond stock specifications the original rubber suspension bushings are at a great risk of failing! We're mostly talking about : low riding vehicles, lifted trucks and raised drag race vehicles. OEM/stock rubber usually can't withstand the forces of a vehicle setup at a non-stock riding height."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That may be true in some instances, but I think they are mostly trying to sell you their products.

I may have a lead on some bushings made by a company in Australia. I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
512 Posts
ANTIsuv
It's unfortunate that so many Mazda parts people don't know how to do their jobs.
Well actually they do know how to do there jobs. The mazda shop manual insists that you have to replace the arm. But some companies sell a kit that allow you to have a machinist press the old one out and a new one in. But if it comes loose you can't sue mazda because they said don't do that.

The same idea with the front wheel bearings. Mazda says buy a new hub and many companies say buy a new bearing and press it into the hub.

So, if the kid at the Mazda dealership recommended that he press a new bearing/joint and it brakes then Mazda would be accountible.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That may be true in some instances, but I think they are mostly trying to sell you their products.

I may have a lead on some bushings made by a company in Australia. I'll let you guys know.
It's a nice piece of propaganda but just the excuse I need to go ahead and do it. I would be interested in bushings from the land down under.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
MazdaMX6Pwr.com:

We were talking about bushings not ball joints.

That fact is that the front control arm bushings can be bought seperately, and they are a MAZDA part. They are in the collision parts manual. It is not some seperate company which sells these bushings.

I believe you are thinking of the control arm ball joints. The ball joint cannot be replaced with a Mazda part, and yeah there are aftermarket companies which sell ball joints that can be pressed in. But as I said in my first response, there's been cases of them falling out causing accidents.

G

·
Have you checked your nuts? Check the torque on the top nut of the strut. I could be loose.

I had this problem once w/ a CRX of mine.

:D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yeah, I think that was the problem. Took it back to the garage and it seems fine now (no more rattles). They said that it was damaged and should be replaced. Also offered to pay for and install a new one. I will have to look into it more. The Tokico warranty should cover it though.

·
Registered
449 Posts
if you want new bushings and ball joints that are properly installed on a control arm for significantly less than dealer prices go to thepartsbin.com This place sells OEM stuff for imports only. Right now free UPS ground shipping on orders over $50.

You can buy the control arm (includes control arm) assembly with the bushings and ball joint for $60(R) and $80(L).

I just ordered the R+L arms yesturday.

i found the link on www.importhookup.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts