Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outer control arm boot is leaking gunk all over my rim. How long do i have before my tire falls off? lol

I just dont have $ to deal with it right now. Can i let it wait?

**its been 2 weeks now**

Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
6thInfection said:
The outer control arm boot is leaking gunk all over my rim. How long do i have before my tire falls off? lol

I just dont have $ to deal with it right now. Can i let it wait?

**its been 2 weeks now**

Thanks for any help.
CV boot. Its a Constant Velocity joint. The control arm is the suspension piece that goes from the chassis to the bottom of the upright/spindle.

You can likely go for quite a long time. It will most likely begin to make disagreeable vibrations/clicking noises while turning before failure. When it does fail, the wheel will not fall off, you just won't go anywhere.

That said, it would be much cheaper to repack it and replace the boot now, than replace a halfshaft later :shrug:
-Garrett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
6thInfection said:
Thanks Garrett for the lesson and tip.

So how much to replace and repack a cv boot?
Partsamerica.com (same as advance auto parts) has a split type quick replacement for 16.99.

That, plus a couple bucks of grease, and a half hour of your time should keep your CV joint happy. Do it sooner, rather then later :)
-Garrett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i took it to the guy to get the boot replaced and packed. 170$us. he also told me the quick fix split type wont last. is the true?
 
G

·
in another thread, i have been experiencing the vibration and clicking like i'm driving over lane markers. I have had my halfshafts changed under warranty like 3 times. Should i have my control arms checked?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
6thInfection said:
ok so i took it to the guy to get the boot replaced and packed. 170$us. he also told me the quick fix split type wont last. is the true?
For the real OEM type boot, that's not a totally unfair price to pay a guy to do it. Dunno why you did though.

The split type likely wont last as long as the OEM style, he's correct. However, the OEM style lasts for about 50-100k miles....so if the split boot works for even half that, and costs 20 bucks instead of 170........Get my drift?

Get yourself a Haynes manual, borrow some basic hand tools, and stop paying people to do basic maintenance on your car. Its a set of skills that will save you money and frustration for the rest of your life.

-Garrett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
C-Diddy said:
in another thread, i have been experiencing the vibration and clicking like i'm driving over lane markers. I have had my halfshafts changed under warranty like 3 times. Should i have my control arms checked?
Well, when I find the other thread, I'll read it and see if my humble self can help :)

Crossposting like you did here is a big no no.

-Garrett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
skiingman said:
Well, when I find the other thread, I'll read it and see if my humble self can help :)

Crossposting like you did here is a big no no.

-Garrett
I say BS to the big no no. Many serious posts are blown off because they dont deal with " what color should I paint my shift knob" or " why is the sky blue". Obviously the guy didnt get an answer to his question, maybe because he didnt ask the question specifically enough. Maybe he just didnt use a title that was catchy enough.
If you're worried about bandwidth usage, get rid of the lounge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
lordy611 said:
I say BS to the big no no. Many serious posts are blown off because they dont deal with " what color should I paint my shift knob" or " why is the sky blue". Obviously the guy didnt get an answer to his question, maybe because he didnt ask the question specifically enough. Maybe he just didnt use a title that was catchy enough.
If you're worried about bandwidth usage, get rid of the lounge.
I didn't say anything about bandwidth. I was concerned about the poor etiquette of hijacking a thread, especially when it has a valid purpose such as this one.

And who blows off serious posts? I don't. Do you?
-Garrett
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top