Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i had my car inspected and as i thought i have a couple bushes worn out.

in particular are the front lower control arm bushes and the rear trailing arm bushes.

On this note i come to the mx6 community to ask a couple questions.

I have seen the 'how to' on the lower control arm bushes.....is it as simple as that looks?
also would it be worth replacing the upper bushes as well or are they less prone to wear?

has anyone got any info on how difficult it is to replace the rear trailing arm bushes?

also anyone in NSW, Australia, know anywhere to buy these bushes without going genuine?!

thanks for any help, much appreicated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the procedure for the control arm bushings. ill go ahead and post it, it may help u. but i dont have anything on the trailing arms

1.Raise and support vehicle, then remove front wheel.
2.Remove lower arm ball joint bolt and stabilizer nut, Fig. 5 .

3.Remove dynamic damper and bolt, then lower arm assembly.
4.Carefully chisel off dust boot.
5.Cut away lower arm bushing projecting rubber, then use special bushing remover tool No. 49G0342A0, or equivalent, and remove bushing.
6.Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:

A. Use special tool and pull new bushing into arm.
B. Press new dust boot onto ball joint with special boot installer tool No. 498038785, or equivalent, and wipe away excess grease.
C. Using chisel, remove dust boot. Do not damage ball joint.
D. Loosely tighten lower arm bolts. Tighten all other nuts and bolts to specifications.
E. Lower vehicle, and tighten lower arm bolts to specifications with vehicle unloaded.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
By "upper bushes" I assume you mean the upper strut mount?

The term Lower control arm is deceptive on a car with no upper control arms lol.

If the upper mounts are cracked and sagging they could definitely do with being replaced.

Look for a how-to on spring replacement and that'll tell you how to replace the mount.

On that note I suggest stepping up to a newer design of strut mount.
The original mount can fail in a very bad way since once all the rubber is torn you only need to get one wheel in the air for the entire strut to fall out causind a lot of dammage to the car.

Use either an upper mount from a 99+ Protege sedan and drill tho center hole to fit the strut rod or just use Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute mounts. Either way you need to hold the strut rod with a vice grip sinde there will not be a flat spot in the mount to hold the rod still when you tighten the center nut.

At the same time you should replace the struts all around and do a general check of the entire under side of the car.

As for the rear bushings, as far as I know they are not removable and you need to replace the entire link. Look into aftermerket links if for no other reason than the stockers are weak and almost always bend. Aftermarket ones are not much more expensive either.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Repco have the bushes in normal rubber and Nolathane, i put the Nolathane ones in and it was a bit of work because they are a very tight fit but thats what you want but other than that it is very simple to do only half days work

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

got the nolathane ones from repco for the front lower control arm (once i looked i realised lower=the only one so sorry about that!)

the front front bushes were fairly ok to get out and the new ones back in but does anyone have a clue on how to remove the front rear ones? (the ones with a metal jacket)
for now all i can think of is waiting to use a hydrolic press cos they are stuck in good!

so the rear trailing arms....... i cant find an aftermarket supplier atm. ANy suggestions?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks guys,

got the nolathane ones from repco for the front lower control arm (once i looked i realised lower=the only one so sorry about that!)

the front front bushes were fairly ok to get out and the new ones back in but does anyone have a clue on how to remove the front rear ones? (the ones with a metal jacket)
for now all i can think of is waiting to use a hydrolic press cos they are stuck in good!

so the rear trailing arms....... i cant find an aftermarket supplier atm. ANy suggestions?
You have to press them out and press the new ones in, sorry i should have said.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the hydrolic press is the answer then?

has anyone in aus used the AWR rear trailing arms? They seem to be the only aftermarket ones i can see?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
so the hydrolic press is the answer then?

has anyone in aus used the AWR rear trailing arms? They seem to be the only aftermarket ones i can see?
You can use the GT spec Protege trailing arms and i believe the 1st gen arms fit aswell. Get used to shopping under other cars names with this car, the MX6/probe market is drying up but the Protege market is still relatively healthy and many parts can swap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i am used to having to ask parts places for pieces from various cars. They all end up thinking i have 4/5 different cars sitting at home but oh well!

Well for now i wait for a hydrolic press and attempt to find some rear trailing arms to fit!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turns out a press was needed! in fact 26T of press was needed! not a wonder the lump hammer didnt work!

also on a side not those nolathene bushes are so damn tight to fit back in!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts