Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

well my 6 needs a new control arm for the right front, and i was wondering if anyone has done this or if its something i should just let the shop do...? but i really dont want to drop $400, i already owe $900+
ahhhh...
its a never ending battle with the whole money situations...
well i just wanted to see if anyone has done this and if it is easy or what...

well thanx

peace

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Hello...

I need the control arm AND the knuckle done - plus it's more expensive here in Canada for parts - AGH!!
Know how you feel.
Cya,
Claeren.

·
Registered
193 Posts
might be your bushings. check out your motor mounts, if they're bad they may have accelerated the wearing of your ctrl arm bushings. I bought new bushings at corksport.com for like $150-something. The trick is finding someone who will put them in for a decent price, may be easier to just get a new arm. or buy a used one at a mazda recycling place online?
what's wrong with your knuckle? my front end sounds like somethings got play in it but dang mechanics cant find anything wrong.
hr

G

·
Control Arm Bushing

I replaced the passenger side control arm bushing in my '93 LS. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Of course it took my almost three weeks to get the correct bushings from the dealerships. It took them three times to order the right bushing. The hardest part is getting the new bushing in. The dealer will tell you that it has to be pressed in with a hydralic press. I did it in my garage. After removing the old bushing, make sure that the inside of the control arm where the bushing goes is super clean. Use sand paper or a file to remove any scratches or burrs. Then coat the new bushing with grease. Don't use regular oil because it will cause the rubber to swell. I used axle bearing grease. To get the bushing in, I used a large socket and a mallet and forced it in, making sure not to damage the new bushing. Email me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Hello again...

I already did the bushing's - to no avail. My knuckle has to be done because I have put off the control arm for so long that the knuckle has warped or something. It doesn't HAVE to be done but if its not tight it could mean that I will have more problems with my bushings or control arm down the road. My friend, a Mazda tech,told me this but he said he still wanted to check it out.
Cya.
Claeren.

·
Registered
172 Posts
control arm replacement

i hydroplaned into a curb a couple months back and did some basty damage to my passenger side front wheel. the force of the impact pushed my entire wheel backwards against the wheel well. when i took my wheel off i could see that i bent the control arm almost 45 degrees backwardsi went to car-part.com and ordered a new control arm from somewhere in texas for like $50, which even had a new ball joint on it. i think it took about an hour to install. i would suggest you do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Hello...

To bad i'm in Canada. Do you think it was manufactured in north america? If so I pay no duty on it and shipping is less.

Cya.
Claeren.

·
Registered
257 Posts
well, it depends on where the play is. if there's play where it meets the hub/wheel then you can get away with just ball joints. they should run about $50 at napa or most parts places. a time consuming install. mine took about 4 hours for both sides. unfortunately, this didn't solve my problem. i had play where the control arm connects underneath the car by the crossmember. i ended up replacing the entire thing on both sides. i got used ones from a junk yard in great shape. off a 97 PGT for $80 bucks/both. and all tho i could've banged out the install in 3 hours (its easier than the ball joints) i was fed up. i had someone do it for $120. car rides beautiful now. whats your symptoms? i had to do my hub bearings too. car feels brand new now tho, so worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!
L8R
Nick

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Hello...

I have a really bad clanking in the wheel all the frikin time. If my cars off the ground, you can actually shake my front left wheel in all directions there is so much play in the connection.
Any thoughts?
Claeren.

·
Registered
257 Posts
its definitely part of the control arm, find out if there's play @ the part by the hub, or under by the crossmember. if its by the hub u can just do ball joints. its easier to just get the used ones like i did. $200 bux all said & done. parts & labor and its all ok now. it can even be a DIY job, i was just fed up after spending $50 and 6 hours doin my ball joints just to have it be the rest of the arm too.

GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY!!
L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts