Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to get some opinions of my dash conversion. I neatly sprayed the guage trim, stereo trim, and center console trim (around shifter and the two pockets.

Ryan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not white, it's silver, like the banner on my windshield. The car body and interior is the MX6 red mica (maroon) color.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why would you paint the interior silver if EVERYTHING else is maroon. WHY would you get a silver visor if the car is maroon. Im sorry man but thats just a bad idea. It alright if somthing else on the car is silver, but other than the trim around the window, there is nothing to match to.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if you've seen a completely maroon MX6 before but it's quite dull...especially when the plastic maroon fades from the sun compared to the cloth and vinyl maroon. If the dash trim, and center console trim is all the same color...then it IS matching...because it's all the same concept. And who said anything about a visor? I put a vinyl silver banner on the windshield. It doesn't bleed with the maroon. It's called color coordination.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mine used to be black, but about 6 months ago I painted All of my trim silver aswell(similar to yours, except through the whole car-mostly black stuff, with a little siver here and there), I think it looks great. so does everyone who sees it in person (the pictures don't do it justice), I have never had one negative comment.I have black trim on the outside, with grey and black inside. It now has quite a nice transition. oh yea, it looks absolutely awesome with white gauges!

speedymx
bunch-o-stuff, studded snow tires (I make sparks,hehehe)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Been thinking about doing that...

but I'm still looking for the perfect metal-like finish. I want it too look like aluminum. I think you should have also painted the ash tray door and cig-lighter surround.

Apparently my car is very similiar to yours; we both have over 180k and maroon/maroon color schemes! My old LX had a maroom interior but the door handles were grey for some reason, which I liked. I might get some grey door handles at some point again.

Lucky for me though..my car hasn't really faded aside from the center arm rest lid thingy and the tops of the rear seats are also slightly lighter.

·
Registered
375 Posts
paint

Hey AntiSUV,
You should be able to find some spray paint at Wal-Mart or an auto store like Autozone or Hi/LO. Get the one thats suppose to look like crome, in reality it dosnt but looks like aluminum. I was painting my dash trim, ash tray, cig lighter surround an aluminum color but when I aplyed a clear coat it turned to a shiny grey, so I painted it with a bright red. I also painted the panel that surrounds the gauges. It looks so tight, it compliments my white face gauges. Word of advise: if you paint the gauge panel be very carfull seperating the panel from the clear plastic, it tends to break or crack easy. I had to go buy another one from a junkyard. A rotary tool comes in real handy. Later.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've actually been pretty rough taking that guage trim off. Had to do it a few times since I broke my speedometer somewhere, I used a fairly cheap spraypaint from a hardware store, and din't sand down the trim. I contemplated painting the ashtray and cig lighter, but I didn't want anything to wear down over time from human use.

Yeah my interior door handles are the least attractive color in the vehicle. I don't know if they're faded to death...but they look like a medium-rare cooked steak. When I get time to take them off, I'm painting them a dark grey with a clearcoat.

Here's what my white face guages look like with the silver:

Oh, and does anyone know how to take out those vent inserts at the very front of the dash near the windsheild? They're long and skinny and fading like a mother.

Ryan

·
Registered
60 Posts
white guages

yo i've seen the patterns for the 2nd gen guages but i wandered if u still have the scanned images u used to make urs for 1st gen. i really want to play around with that

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I made the mistake of buying these for way too much. There is a registered mx6.com user who actually scanned his 2nd gen faces in and made his own white face guages. He has the Photoshop files still and might be willing to give them to you for free. Put up a post and ask for them, he'll show up. He's a good guy.

Ryan

·
Registered
405 Posts
what kind of paint did you use for that? just regualar spray paint? i was thinking of buying an airbrush kit for models and using it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I used some pretty cheap spraypaint to do it from Aubuchon Hardware. It was a semi-gloss silver, i think I paid $2.49 for the can.

·
Registered
428 Posts
To rmtaylor. I have taken my vents out once to see if i could fit my tweeter inside. The tweters are now placed on the mirror backing's. To get the vent off is a pain in the ass and a little force is required. Use a flat screwdriver and pop one side out. I cannot remember which end to tackle it from, maybe the left. This is because one end has a nipple that the vent pivots on and the other end has a square thing that also pivots and also limits the action.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, sweet, thanks dude. I tried the scre driver tactic on the pass side towards the door and scratched the hell out of it and gave up when I attempted it. Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Dash trim - yellow to match outside

I have Focals with Yellow wheel caps, Yellow MAZDA RACING on the windshield, yellow wipers, yellow stripe on the front grille, so I figured Id paint my dash trim, the steering wheel cover, the glove box cover, the shifter knob and emerg brake handle all yellow. Maybe the handles on the doors too? What do you guys think? The car is BLUE and yellow seems to look really good with blue cars.

Then I was gonna take the guages out, scan em, invert em to yellow background with blue markings. But then do I need to worry about lighting them? Are their indiglo guages for mx-6's?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No indiglo guages. 75% of the light for the guages come from behind them, and 25% shine on top from an optical plastic. I had a few other things in my car silver other than my dash, but it started to look ghetto. I'm only a fan of yellow on black cars.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, I guess not everyone does, but, I like the look Rmtaylor. I personally wouldn't go silver with maroon, but, if you like it, great. I think the paint job itself looks good.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Not much light on the guages?

So if I scan new guage covers, I wont be able to see them that well if 75% of the light comes from behind them?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts