Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently own a 1990 non turbo and have found a 1991 gt with a blown motor. Does anyone have any experience with converting a non turbo car to a turbo car? The thing is that my car is much nicer than the gt and the gt is also a automatic :( everything is good on the gt but the short block. Does anyone know the differences betwwen the two that I would need to know?

Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's funny you mention that, because I was just out in the garage today finishing that project up. I had cut the pass. side hole and went out of town for Christmas. I got the scoop painted and installed. I'll post pics in mycardomain next week. Do you have any pics? I'm gonna paint the whole car now that the scoops are done. I'm thinking green/purple chameleon. We'll see. It'll be a little expensive but i'm gonna do it myself. Save some cash.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?????????????

that cameleon color is a little played?

I'd go with something a little more traditional like black or silver always looks good:shrug:

I noticed that you put your scoop a little lower than I did? mine is at a different angle, the way I placed them looks like they were both meant to be there, I'm sure that yours will look the same, it's all a matter of taste. Just make sure that whatever angle you place the passenger is symetrical with the drivers side...otherwsie it'll throw THE WHOLE THING OFF...measure TWICE...cut ONCE

notice anything different about your A/F?

quite honestly, when I installed my drivers side, I was in a rush to get a Walbro...nothing says "OH SH!T" like LEAN :lol:

by any chance, do you want the lights in your heating and A/C a different color? I can do red/blue/green or yellow.

my heating and A/C controls have a blue face lighting them with red lights over which button is selected and red lights for the two sliders...I can do whatever color you want (some soldering with wires and resistors is needed....but I'll do it for cost) let me know?

·
Registered
737 Posts
SixSick6 said:
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?????????????
that cameleon color is a little played?

I'd go with something a little more traditional like black or silver always looks good:shrug:
I noticed that you put your scoop a little lower than I did? mine is at a different angle, the way I placed them looks like they were both meant to be there, I'm sure that yours will look the same, it's all a matter of taste. Just make sure that whatever angle you placed the passenger is symetrical with the drivers side...otherwsie it'll throw THE WHOLE THING OFF...measure TWICE...cut ONCE
That chameleon thing might be played out in CA, but here there are very few people that have it, It would be one of the few in this town of 2 million people.
And with the scoop, trust me it matches up exact, I've done a lot of fabricating and welding and even a little body work, I'm not great but when it comes to my stuff, i'm a perfectionist. Especially when I know I only get 1 chance. I placed the drivers side scoop right in the perfect spot to bring in the most air to the filter and allow hot air to escape without the strut tower being in the way.
What difference does the scoop make to make me go lean? Is that what you're saying, that you went lean after the pass. side scoop?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
no drivers side, not really LEAN, but enough to see a difference without the scoop. I dont know where you live? I live in San Diego,Ca...it barely ever rains here, but when it does rain, I pop the hood and cover my filter and AFM with a plastic bag.

I noticed quite a difference with the scoop, engine temps, bypass/bov sound ( I have a 1st gen DSM bypass now) but with the scoop, I noticed an extremely loud audible sound from the stock bypass, much like what all the other ricers are trying to get out of a bov. I noticed that you have a BOV yourself, not directing the ricer comment towards you personally, but don't you notice it's louder vs without a hoodscoop?

I didnt like having a BOV, I tried a Greddy Type S for awhile and didnt like the negative backfiring and occasional stalling out at intersections when exiting from a highway:shrug: you might notice something different, but if you revert back to your stock bypass with a hoodscoop, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at the sound ( I wish I could get the same sound from my 1st gen DSM that I did with my stock bypass..besides the leaking boost aspect:shrug: )

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm only keeping the hijack going to make this thread worth something. I live in Michigan, it rains moderately here, more snow than anything. But the 6 isn't my primary vehicle, so if the weather isn't ideal I just hop in another ride. I have the BOV right now, but I plan on gettin a eclipse or hks bypass, I do backfire (rarely) but i've never stalled. My stock BPV was not working well once I put the boost to 12psi, I had lots-o-flutter. That BOV I have is already very loud, but with both vents in there wow, watch out. I've scared plenty of pedestrians. Some people say that loud BOV's are for "ricers," but I feel that's a little like racial profiling and i'm not really down with that. It's just a preference some have it, some don't.

How much are you talking for that colored a/c heat display? Do I ship you mine and then you do the deal and send it back? PM me if you don't want to post the price.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
well here is the deal: it depends on what you want< when I first did my lights I went with the standard LED lights, I bought them from Radio Shack for $3.00 a bulb. You need 2 bulbs to light the face making it $6.00.....$.99 for a pack of resistors for which you need 2.....the lights in the overhead compartment total 9? I used bulk LED's but werent as bright as CLEAR colored LED's which will still cost you $2.99 a piece. I chose Varad Hyper leds which cost $9.00 a piece for the face (makes the face light up hyper blue, similar to the blue from reverse indiglo) and regular red for the upper lights. I chose the expensive route for mine but it looks hella good. Total cost for MY dash? $50-$60?..but depending on which lights you want, I could do yours for cost of shipping plus whatver you wanted for lights..basically $10 for lights or $50--$60 for lights? plus shipping

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
if you want a basic color swap? non hyper light basic color change? I could do it in bulk colored led's (meaning the led color is whatever color plastic, it will give you the color but nowhere near as intense...check out Varad Hyper Led's website for more info) I could do your heating and A/C in basic bulbs for $20 with shipping and you'd be happy..but for a little more you'd be happier..especially with reverse indigo guages from procarparts.com

·
Registered
737 Posts
It sounds pretty cool. I think I'll stick with stock for now. Maybe in the spring time i'll take you up on it. Thanks

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
You guys never hear of mail?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, i've heard of it. But not sure how to use it.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts