Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my car has been leaking antifreeze. Over the past 2 weeks, twice there has been a wet spot (size of hand) under the driver side of the car towards the back of the engine, but the rest of the time, a only dime sized drops of coolant. The car is not overheating, there is plenty of coolant in the car.

The water pump was replaced last year when they did the timing belt. I cannot remember if they replaced the thermostat.

I've read almost every thread related to an antifreeze leak, but they all end of being the water pump.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Check the hoses that lead to the TB also, theres a small one behind the VAF under the intake elbow (if u need pics i can post them later when i get home). I had a leak at the one behind the VAF a few months back because the hose cracked.

·
Registered
140 Posts
or it could be a hose going to the heater core. ;) heres a pic of where they go into the firewall on a 2.0 but it should be the same local as a 2.5 it could be dripping onto the tranny and forming a puddle on the driv side. hope this helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blade, I checked those hoses and I didn't see anything. I even had the car running for awhile trying to see any leaks. I then checked at the hoses around the air flow box, didnt see anything.

I think I'm gonna drop it off at a shop to see where it is coming from. Worst case, they tell me what the problem is....hopefully it's not gonna be expensive. lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
When my MX6 started leaking coolant, I noticed it from the timing belt side, right underneath the timing covers. When the car was on it started leaking coolant very slowly, drip by drip. It was the water pump very slowly leaking out of it's weep hole.

It would suck if it was your wp, seeing as you only replaced it last year.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Correct ZE often times when the Water pump is leaking it can reach around to the drive side. It follows the ridge of the oil pan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, if its the water pump...I don't see myself throwing that much money into it anymore. :) I think that will be the time we part ways. lol I still havent taken it to the shop yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mechanic looked at the car today. He said it's not the water pump. He said it's most likely a hose. He said, since it's not really losing coolant and it's not overheating, it's not a huge problem...and not worth spending a couple hundred dollars to fix. If I ever do fix it, I will you guys know what is was. Thanks for all of the replies!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
hoses that leak are a pain to find, especially if it's spraying on parts that make you think it's something else. I had my radiator hose spray coolant (only under pressure) because I had tightened one of the clamps a little too tight. it would spray on the hood while I was driving and make me think my radiator was leaking. major annoyance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts