Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while back my radiator hose bursted and I replaced it on my own. Now, however, I seem to have a leak. Every day I have to add a little bit of water to the system, and it seems to be about the same amount each day. For some reason this seems to be regardless of whether or not I drive the car or just let it sit there for a day or two. Like it says in the manual I've been filling the radiator with coolant/water up to the neck, but when I open it up to check the cooland is a a little below the neck area. Anyways, can someone tell me if this is normal, or if I need to take my car to the shop to get it checked out?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think there's a certain way you're supposed to add coolant so it bleeds the air out of the system. Are you doing that?

Tyson

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was told by the mechanics at the local mazda dealer to let my engine run with the radiator cap off for a while to bleed the air out of the system. I've done that and for a while the coolant stayed full and constant but in the last week or so the level has fallen what seems to be a constant amount each day.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yep that's the right way to do it. Are there any visual leaks? Check the water pump at the front of the engine, and the two hoses near the air filter box at the rear of the engine block. Those go to the heater.

Tyson

·
Registered
806 Posts
When you drain and re-fill the cooling system, you really have to pour the new coolant in pretty slow. Otherwise, you have to bleed the system until you get all the air out. The bleeding process is simply starting it up, letting it heat up until the fan comes on. Then let it cool and top it off. You have to repeat this until you get it completely bled, ie. the level stays up. There aren't obvious leaks i am guessing since you haven't mentioned them, so that is my guess of what is going on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, there aren't any leaks that I can see. When I look underneath the car there is no liquid and when I look under the hood there doesn't seem to be any stray wetness either. I guess I'll bleed the system some more and see if thats the problem. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just be glad it's not like 2nd gen RX-7s with the dreaded "add coolant" buzz and blinking light, when the cooling system wasn't fully bled!

Also, you'd know if you had an external leak by the hot syrupy smell of leaking coolant. It's very distinct.

Have you kept an eye on the overflow reservoir level?

Tyson

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it appears that there is a leak somewhere, but somewhere that I can't see. When I was filling the coolant today I let it sit... and this time it steadily went down to where it usually sits at, and I filled it a few more times and watched it go down... and then I moved my car and noticed that quite a bit of coolant had leaked out... it seems to be dripping from a little further back from the hose that you usually empty the coolant from. I guess I'll need to take it in to the dealer. As for the fan, I was letting my engine run today and I was looking at the big fan thats right in front of the engine and begind the grill. Then I heard what sounded like the fan spinning but that big white fan wasn't moving at all. Is that the fan that's supposed to spin and cool the engine? And if its not moving does that mean its broken?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mike had an excellent post last week about cooling fan operations; do a search and you can probably dig it up.

Tyson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts