Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was leaking coolant from the back of my engine i i put some stop leak stuff and it slowed down at first i thought it was the water pump but since the leak slowed down i think its a freeze plug that just is falling out or something How can i tell for sure???

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
When you say the back of the engine, you mean the part that is closest to the firewall, right? Which would be the right side of the motor.

What motor/car do you have? That will help us help you--if we can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not sure exactly where but it leaks down from the engine right under in the middle i saw where the freeze plus are and that looks about right.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You don't want to use stop leak in our cars because a lot of things are cooled besides the engine. The turbo is water cooled, the ICS has water going to it and the stop leak will clog those items.

Besides a stop leak is for stopping radiator or heater core leaks; from what you said yours sounded like it was comming from around the block and that stuff would not stop a leak there anyways. Our care need to have the radiator working correctly and free flowing; anything that prevents this causes our cars to overheat. It may be a good idea to do an entire flush of the coolant system in hopes of getting that stuff out ASAP.

Ok; stuff to look for - Our cars have a oil cooler that is water cooled. This is right between the oil filter and the block. This is the most likely the problem and can be fixed by replacing it. You should also change the oil since water has a good chance of getting mixed in with it causing problems. (once you fix the probelm that is) If it is not that it could be one of the water hoses going to or from this oil cooler. Next souce could be the water hose that feeds the turbo charger on the front of the car. This would leak down and make it look like it is comming from the middle of the engine block. This hose is prone to failure and should be replaced every two years.

Hope this helps; good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks alot would that cause my car to kinda be draggin ass i noticed its not running with the power it usually does

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
If water was mixing with your oil; who knows what types of things it could foul up. You may have to change your plugs among other things to get your car running right again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.