Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried draining my coolant today, I had to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses so AI thought I might as well, but the coolant level in the reservoir has not changed, despite about 7 litres being drained. Am I missing something? I took off the radiator cap, ran the car for 5 minutes with the heater at max and then turned car off, and opened the drain plug. After replacing the hoses, I filled the reservoir up to a little over full and started the car again (cap still off) and the coolant level still hasn't changed! HELP please. It's a 1990 mx6 aws turbo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
BTW cap still off you will draw from the resivroir. You need to let it run longer. Needs to actually heat up.

If nothing changes then take it for a drive, then come back and let it cool and check the level in the rad.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Running the heater on our cars does nothing when you flush/fill the rad. Our cars do not have a heater cock. Fluid flows into the heater core at all times.

Also the coolant will not drain from the reservoir when the rad is opened via draincock or lower hose. It would have to travel up hill.

If you have filled it too full and want to drain it remove it and dispose of the a/f properly. When the car is hot water a/f mix expands and fills the tank once the cap opens. Suction will then replace it when the car is shut off and starts to cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts