Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooling Fan *update*

On my 1989 GT, the cooling fan wil not turn on. I replaced the thermo-sensor, and then Relay, still doesn't work. I have also hooked up the fan to the battery to see if it works, and the fan does work.

Is there another electrical component? Or do I just need to search for a broken wire?

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Fuse?? Does your A/C and blower work? There's 1 more relay that controls the A/C, blower motor, and the cooling fan that is activated by the ignition. I had this one go bad on me and it took me a while to figure this out. The relay is located near the battery.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the A/C cooling fan works, it is the other cooling fan that is not. That cooling fan is controlled only by that thermo Sensor and the relay as far as I know, but there may be something that I don't know about. I really don't want to start tracing wires, that is a job.

I'm going to look in the fuse panel under the dash.

·
Registered
261 Posts
hmmm.. I dunno, try checking the big white resistor thats beside the fan behind the radiator. It is coverexd by a black peice of metal with holes in it. That is responsible for the regualr cooling fan at low speed.

When you pull the plug for the cooling fan switch sensor, does the relay click? fan come on??

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I had this problem a couple years back. Our cars have a ridiculous amount of temperature sensors/switches, (and they cost a ridiculous amount of money - I paid $80 for one!) and if any one of them doesn't work, all kinds of weird things can happen. In my case, it was obvious which one was broken, since the whole head of it was snapped off. Anyhow, you mention you replaced the "thermo-sensor"... this is NOT the cooling fan switch... this is the thermometer for the temp. gauge. You probably need to replace the "thermoswitch," which is a switch that turns the fan on/off at a certain temperature. I beleive there may even be a couple of these "thermoswitches."

Also, you mention "hooking the fan up to the battery." Do you mean you used the check connector? Or did you actually run a wire all the way to the battery? In the manual, it shows how to test the fan using the check connector to see if the thermoswitch is the problem.

[Edited by magik8 on 03-03-2001 at 02:09 PM]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hooked the fan directly to the battery, then it worked. I guess it is time to start tracing wires. The fuse under the hood, and the fuse under the dash are good.

I'll try to look at that resistor.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I don't think just tracing wires is going to get you anywhere. You NEED a shop manual in order to troubleshoot this problem. Like I said, there are several coolant temperature switches/sensors, and there's no way you're going to know which one is bad unless you do the troubleshooting. You could also replace them all, I suppose, but using the shop manual will help you quite a bit.

If you don't have a factory mazda mx-6 manual, head over to the dealer and order one (It's about 2-3 times thicker than the lame Chiltons or Haynes manuals). You'll never look at your Haynes/Chilton manual again.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is my next purchase after obtaining $100.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic said that my temp guage was off, so it wasn't getting that hot. He also replaced the thermostat anyway--which was what I was going to do.

I'm not worried anymore!

Thanks yall!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts